Re: Heidegger and Greek...

> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 1996 18:42:37 -0500
> From: Nicklas Lundblad <nicklas.lundblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Heidegger and Greek...
> To: heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Did Heidegger ever claim that
> german had this quality? I think he did, but I can't seem to remember where,
> so I would be grateful for a passage to quote :)
>
> Howdy.
>
> Nick

Hi,

Heidegger actually did claim that. His point was that only German is
as complex as greek in its means to express the deepness of thought.
His argument pointed to grammar and semantics. I have no particular
reference in mind now, but I think he said that in "Unterwegs zur
Sprache", "Wegmarken" and in some of the lectures. The idea ist not particularly
Heideggerian, since this was a common topic in german idealism and
romanticism. Fichte e. g. thought german philosophy was the legitimate heir
to the greeks, thats why he felt justified to call it
"Wissenschaftslehre". Language was one of the major reasons why.

ciao
Martin
Martin Baeuerle
Sprachlernzentrum Universitaet Bonn