Re: Heidegger home page censored in Germany

> This is very silly. You would most likely have to filter out everything
> from that address (or port 80 from that address - which could be changed)
> and let me be the first to call for mirror sites. I can't wait to here
> about all of the hacker net "libertarians" defending access to ... Martin
> who?
>
> Pete, where did you see the news story?

The news story was from a wire report.

The key problem is that the Germans are required to block
any site that carries Holocaust revisionist information.
So the site Ereignis is on was blocked, and the thousands
of pages on it are inaccessible from Germany. Libertarians
are mirroring the offensive info on other sites and the
story goes on, providing tons of free publicity to aryan
hate groups that would have disapeered if the Simon Wiesenthal
Center hadn't drawn everyones attention to them with their
demands that they be censored. Who are the real fascist here?
A rabbi that wants to control what people can read or a Nazi
who doesn't accept the canonical history of the holocaust?

One mirror of the holocaust site and accompanying info on
the censorship is at CMU,
http://www.gsia.cmu.edu:80/andrew/ml3e/www/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/

The pro-censor views can be read at
http://www.wiesenthal.com/

My personal view is that holocaust revisionism is a sign of
weakness in the brain. Censorship is thought control by
the powerful to maintain and expand their power.

As far as mirroring Ereignis: I've received offers from CMU,
Stanford, Berkeley, and MIT. But frankly, I can't be bothered.
The Heidegger home page is just a hobby for me, and I have
another full week of real work ahead of me. The whole bruhaha
is a loss for net.citizens in Germany and undeserved publicity
for nazis everywhere. As an aside, citizens of European countries
trying to forge a European super-nation should pause and
consider whether German financial assistance is worth the
price, if it'll mean that the German government will decide what
media they are permitted access to.

Sorry for the lack of actual Heidegger content in this post, but
I've received so much mail privately from list-members and I
don't have time to respond to them individually.

Thanks for your support,
cheers,
Pete
paf@xxxxxxxxxx