RE: atheism

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Laurence Paul Hemming wrote:

> I might tentatively advance the thesis that God is the one of whom it is =
> only possible not to speak (God is the one of whom nothing can be said, =
> because he is the one who utters ho logos, the Word). Such a view has =
> an illustrious provenance in Christian *thinking* (as perhaps an =
> alternative to Christian *metaphysics* - though I would happily concede =
> I am taking a short-cut here that requires much greater elucidation) =
> exemplified by (amongst others) Eckhart, Jakob Boehme, Angelus Silesius, =
> Nicholas of Cusa - a (German) tradition with which Heidegger was =
> thoroughly familiar.

To this noble list of persons I would like to add those early Church
Fathers of the East who celebrate the divine incomprehensibility of the
Godhead, in particular the Cappadocian Fathers, (esp. Gregory of
Nazianzus). One could perhaps include the "logos theologians," Origen and
Justin Martyr, but I would have to think things through a little more to
be sure.

Tony

> Just in terms of Heidegger's biography, he was certainly buried as a =
> Catholic (and was accorded the rights of the Church) and appears to have =
> retained a lifelong loyalty of a kind to the Church.
>
> Laurence

Anthony F. Beavers, Ph.D. / Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Religion
The University of Evansville / Evansville, Indiana 47722 / (812)479-2682
Ancient Greek and Early Christian Metaphysics
Phenomenology and Existentialism