RE: atheism

>And to Chris Rickey,
>
>The references in Nietzsche and the Einfuehrung are numerous. They're not
>difficult to find, and I don't have time to look them up, I'm afraid.
>
>I don't know of the Italian salad quote, nor where and when he believed
>Catholics needed exterminating, though he did throw some Jesuits out of
>his lectures in the thirties. The reasons for this are, I suspect, quite
>complex, if you recall what he has to say about the Jesuit Order in
>relation to works of art.
>
>To avoid Italian Salads and other seductive dishes whose actual eating
>might deliver less than their immediate visual appeal promises, I wonder
>if we might consider the more gristly fare of what is actually going on in
>Heidegger's understanding of God (harder to chew on but more nourishing in
>the end).

Alright, I was being a little elliptical, but there was a serious point
there. Heidegger on italian salads:

"The motu proprio on philosophy was all we needed. Perhaps you, as an
'academic', could propose a better procedure, whereby anyone who feels like
having an independent thought would have his brains taken out and replaced
with Italian salad." (Letter to Krebs, 7.1914, quoted in Ott, p.81)

Heidegger was poking fun (somewhat in anguish) at a papal order that
proclaimed Aquinas to be the sole and absolute source of Catholic doctrinal
authority. Bear in mind this predates his break with the Church, but
clearly he is not happy with the rigid path taken by Pius X in the
modernity/traditionalist debate at the time.

The reason I questioned where the distinction was made between faith and
dogma was that both serve as "securing," in this case of the salvation of
the soul. It is through "securing" that Heidegger is able to lump even the
young Luther together with theologians of all stripes and confessions.

I will not doubt that this is a complex issue, given his constant and
changing working through of the question of god and religion, but he seems
pretty consistent after about 1917 on the point that faith and dogma, the
basis of theology, is a different sort of thinking than philosophy.

Incidentally, the Freiburg lecture courses on religion have recently been
published as GA 60. There we can find more grist for our topic.

We will stand nowhere, where the flamethrower has not completed through
annihilation the great cleansing. - Ernst Juenger