Re: Keeping one's eyes open for de boss

> Erik de champion has been noted and the question arises:
>
> How authentic is it to be working out a personal philosophy at Unitech, where I
>presume you teach?
>
> ilton Rodger
>
> Huia School of contiguous acountabilities, Huia, New Zealand

Wilton, I appear to have been spotted by a fellow national.
1.I teach here, yes. In Design and Performing Arts as the footer notes.

I teach computer graphics in Design and am entrusted (half-time) with creating/helping
along the first Performing Arts degree in this country. There are many questions as to what
such a degree should be. You see, all degree proposals in this country must have a
philosophy behind them. All parts of the degree proposal (courses, assessment, levels of
learning etc) must be justifiable in terms of that degree.

A paper I gave here on "aesthetics" and various meanings therein, is part of UNITEC's
School of Design 1995's Research report.
Also, I have just been asked to give some workshops and or lectures on design as it relates
and or does not relate to aesthetics/philosophy of art. The students want practical(=put
into use straight away) ways of creating, self-appraising and evaluating their work.

I also teach part time in architectural history at another institute.
I am also writing on Heidegger's aesthetics and on Wolfflin's notions of empathy for the
University's department of philosophy here.

Whether UNITEC is an institution in what ever sense of the word, that if it is, any who
work for it cannot or do not necessarily think, well, that may or may not be the case, the
right example, or the right solution to the right question and/or problem.
I can only speak for myself. If I could not keep asking questions, and pondering them, I
would not be the person I am. I think I would also be profoundly unhappy. That is not to
say my thinking is very good, only that I could not bear life without it. Some values I
cherish involve critical discourse, active self-directed learning and the integration of
technology with the social concerns of the people who use this technology. This goes back
to my first glimpses of architecture, and why it is so important and yet so often
misunderstood and or misapplied. If I could, I would change that. But first, as I see it, I
need an environment in which I can test and discuss and perfect my ideas, and tertiary
institutions provide me with I would like to give. Authentic enough for you?

In short, this email correspondence is part of my university research that in turn is
driven by, and part of my attempt at clarifying everyday and longer term problems in the
teaching of design, art and architecture.I do not remember saying I had a "personal"
philosophy, or that if I had one that I should separate it from the philosophy behind my
teaching, or from the degree programme on which my course is based. In fact, if I did such
a thing, I think I would be dishonest to both colleagues and students. Yesterday I had
lunch with one of them,the head of a bustling section of the Design School. On the very
issue of design evaluation, production, sel-appraisal, and on the very nature of
institutions and why students come to them, and on why there was so little accessible
literature on the philosophy of design...(sorry, you have got me started!)

2. Yes, the surname is originally French, as you have guessed, only the "de" is misplaced.
I have some questions for Wilton as well, but I'll ask them via personal email rather than
clog up this group.

Good night
erik champion M.Arch
schools of design & performing arts