re: Question of Being

Pete Ferriera asked recently:

>Is anyone familiar with this book? What it's number is in
>the Gesamtausgabe or if its translated elsewhere? Who
>the translator was?
>
>Question of Being
>by Martin Heidegger
>Published by New College & University Press
>Publication date: June 1958

Pete

I have a copy in front of me now:

translated + introduction by Jean T. Wilde & William Kluback
published by College & University Press, New Haven
dated 1958 (translated version)

Apart from a preface, this volume contains 3 articles by the translaters
plus a bibliography of secondary sources, and a foreword from Heidegger.
The main meat of this important text (which has the german in facing pages)
is a response to the works of the philosopher-warrior Ernst Junger in
honour of his 60th birthday, in particular the attempted post-nihilist work
'Across the Line' (dedicated to Heidegger). Heidegger's response
'Concerning "The Line"' is in the form of a letter to Junger. It plays on
the notion of 'line' and the crossing of lines especially insofar as the
line to cross is that de-fining the crossing of nihilism as worked out in
Junger's 'The Worker', and contains the famous crossing out of the word
_Being_. Not wishing to summarise or precis the text, I would suggest that
it is a fundamental one of Heidegger's later work.

Good luck.

MP