(not)-overcoming overcoming

The problem of Verwindung is deepening and creasing my head, but this is
OK. Michael Eldred continues:

>Jan Straathof mentioned Verwindung der technischen Welt as one aspect of
>getting
>over metaphysics. The technical world is not abolished, but it is twisted from
>domination into servitude by humankind coming to belong to the event. This is
>the way to get over the technical world, but not to overcome it.
>
>So, at the moment I cannot see any neat, compact solution for getting
>Ueberwindung/Verwindung across.

We seem to have got to a 'position' - un-neat, non-compact - of Verwindung
(with respect to metaphysics or the framework - Ge-stell) not being like
the passing-over of a pass-over, a leaving behind that acrosses without
effect; nor is it like any kind of abolishing or demolition (something that
Heidegger regards as unsurpassable in its grotesqueness). How can
Verwindung get across? This business of Verwindung twists and turns under
our gaze. In an interesting article by Dominique Janicaud 'Overcoming
Metaphysics?' in 'Heidegger: from metaphysics to thought' (Janicaud &
Mattei, trans. Michael Gendre, 1995, State U of NY Press), Janicaud
mentions the three keys Heidegger words in the matter of overcoming
metaphysics: destruction (Destrktion), overcoming (Ueberwindung) and "the
untranslatable Verwindung", the relation of thinking with metaphysics
assuming each of the three spun out in succession and in accompaniment
(feels like something musical...). Could the untranslatable (meaning it
seems to me, infinitely but boundedly, translatable) Verwindung earn its
place amongst the other untranslatables of Heidegger, eg, logos, ousia,
tao, physis, da-sein, etc? Do each of the three key words interpenetrate
each other, ravel, and wind around each other in a web or a rope. Spun
modes of encountering metaphysics (itself a maze, a mass of confused
threads from times and spaces all entwined). Metaphysics is perhaps
entwined with its destruction/overcoming/verwindung; each mode a moment of
the history of metaphysics in its (self?) overcoming in the beckoning of
ereignis, into the flashpoint of its truth (its non-metaphysical truth)?
Metaphysics insists in its Verwindung:

"Not only is metaphysics not a thing of the past, but more than ever it
insists in the present...'Even overcome, metaphysics does not disappear. It
returns in another form and maintains its supremacy'." (Janicaud, p6)

Jan Straathof quotes Heidegger:

"Eine solche Verwindung des Ge-Stells..." (from 'Overcoming Metaphysics'
Heidegger in "Identity and Difference')

Can this be translated with getting-over the frame(work)/set-up/technical
world? Joan Stambaugh translates this as: Such a transformation of the
frame... A transformation that leads to a new relation with the Ge-stell.
Does metaphysics trans-form it self in its overcoming? Heidegger states
that it re-turns trans-formed and supreme. Is it gotten over or does it get
over it self?

Another trans-lation of Heidegger in Vortrage...: 'the overcoming is
nothing but the announcement, exposed to "many misunderstandings", of a
more originary transformation, ie, "the appropriating advent in which Being
itself is recovered (verwunden)' and further 'this overcoming is "the
forerunning sign of the initial remission (Verwindung) of the forgetfulness
of Being"'. (Heidegger in double-quotes)

Crudely, perhaps, we have more clues to the untranslatable Verwindung:
announcement of a transformation; a recovering; a remission.

I like 're-mission': a sending back, a postponement, a pardening, a
deferring of/to, a consignment (to metaphysics). What is sent to
metaphysics (such that it re-turns supreme but trans-formed). Ereignis!
Verwindung as re-mission contains a whiff of the foretaste of the event of
appropriation that has gone beyond and before metaphysics and throws it
into its supreme relief. With Ereignis on the horizon (of horizons),
metaphysics is sent into its truth, is delivered over to it self in its
supremacy (as delivered up to truth).

Ereignis as the original-originating E-mail?

I shakily think the meaning of Verwindung in relation to the whole of
metaphysics is the Same as that of Ereignis, the horizon that enables the
thinking of Being (without beings), the Way in which metaphysics is
(not)-overcome (I should, following Heidegger in 'Concerning "the line"' in
'The Question of Being', cross out the word 'overcoming', cross over to the
(not)-overcoming of overcoming - but ASCII would prevent me). Heidegger:

"To think Being without beings means: to think Being without regard to
metaphysics. Yet a regard for metaphysics still prevails even in the
intention to overcome [what is this a translation of?] metaphysics.
Therefore our task is to cease all overcoming [], and leave metaphysics to
itself" (On Time and Being)

Over-coming (Verwindung) = Cease all overcoming (Ueberwindung).

Let us cease.

MP