Re: Ethos with Epsilon

Thanks for the clarification. If I *can*, I'll get a Greek dictionary,
learn Greek, and German, as well. Does everyone on this list know Greek
but me?

Thanks, for the clarification.

Tom B.

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Capurro Annette wrote:

> Well Tom B. , I think Michael Eldred is right, you should buy a Greek
> dictionary (actually I have to use very often an English one!) and you
> should read Aristotle' s Nichomachean Ethics, there you will find a very
> famous explanation of the word "ethics": in Greek you have two kinds of "e"
> a short one (that is called epsilon) and a long one that is called "etha".
> Ethics is being written with the long one, and Aristotle explains that the
> origin of the word "Eethos" (wich Etha) is from "ethos" (wich Epsilon) that
> means Character, whereas "eethos" means the habits or (latin) "mores"
> (German: Sitten). Since German Idealism there is the distinction between
> "Moralitaet" (as individual morality) and Sittlichkeit (the Morality
> belonging to a society). The discussion between Heidegger and Levinas refers
> to the question whether (roughly speaking) the personal ethics (ethos with
> epsilon) is founded on "eethos" (this is in some way Heideggers position) or
> the other way around. I do not think it makes to much sense to think of
> ethos as a static view and morality as temporal view (particularly not in Hs
> terms). By the say, if you want to understand H. you will have to learn
> Greek...
> Cheers
> Rafael
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---

"I'll take my coffee without sugar produced in slave labor camps, third
world plantations and by prison chain gangs, thank you."