RE: Oedipal issues

I think it's best not thought of as a line at all. The line is a=20
reduction. Death, for us, is irreducibly a matter of *meaning* and=20
understanding in/for which the schema of the line participates on rarely=20
without problematic abstraction.

As for the "death of the father", like so many different themes which=20
surface here and there on the "left side of things" (I guess...), it is a=
=20
classic case of the failure to grasp the issue of (non)violence: violent=20
thought/action kills the father, nonviolent thoughtaction approaches the=20
problem of the *tyrant*, leaving *paternality* intact, albeit minus its=20
*dominance*. It is a serious failing to attach *paternalism* as such,=20
since there are, after all, fathers. Better to say, "the death of the=20
tyrant".=20

Tom B.

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, M.Eldred_artefact wrote:

> Cologne, 17 August 1996
>=20
> Iain has written a fascinating post about Oedipus, death and patricide, e=
nding=20
> by making a connection with "doing violence to the father" (Sophist 241d)=
,=20
> Parmenides and his maintaining that "not only what is non-being is in a c=
ertain=20
> way but also that what is being conversely is in some way not being" (241=
d).=20
> ("being" here verbally-participially.)
>=20
> I cannot do justice to Iain's post at the moment and off the cuff, but it=
seems=20
> there are problems of demarcation or delimitation between being and non-b=
eing.=20
> Does Heidegger return to the question of being in its de-limit-ation? Doe=
s=20
> metaphysics attempt to draw the line? Does the thinking of being bring th=
e line=20
> into question? Could this mean, as one of its consequences, that the line=
=20
> between life and death could become osmotic?=20
>=20
> Heidegger's voluminous early 'Sophistes' lectures (GA 19), which I have n=
ot yet=20
> read, could help here, perhaps.=20
>=20
> Chaire apeiron,
> Michael
> \\\ =B0 '~': '' /// =B0 artefact text and translation =B0~ \ ' ) '''=
| . \ - =B0
> .{.\ ~. ' ~ { } .\ : ~ =B0=B0=B0 made by art =B0=B0=B0 _ =B0/=
~ : ~:~ \./''/
> http://www.webcom.com/artefact/ {.\ ~. ' ~ { } .\ : artefact@t-online.=
de=20
> vox: (++49 221) 9520 333 fax: (++49 221) 9520 334 Dr Michael Eldred=
=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>=20

"I'll take my coffee without sugar produced in slave labor camps, on third=
=20
world plantations or by prison chain gangs, thank you. The same goes for=20
the coffee itself, naturally."