Re: What is a Thing?

I am only graduate student at the New School, but I have been reading
Heidegger for about two years. While "What is a Thing" is an excellent
essay, you may just as well be served to getting into "Being and Time"
where Heidegger talks about Dasein's engagement towards things and the
differences between ready at hand and present to hand. I think what
Heidegger accomplishes with this re-reading of Kant is a strong refutation
of objectivity in its strictest and most traditional sense, a refutation of
categories that exist epiphenomenally of the experience of the object.
More than that, I believe Heidegger then asserts a hermeneutic
phenomenology based on engagement with the thing on a number of different
levels-most basically ontological. Fundamentally this exegesis on a
traditional attitude towards things leads to a critique of technology - the
"enframing". Personally, I think this is one of Heidegger's most amazing
insights.