Re: The Idea of Peak Oil

truly breath-taking, malcom. your sojourn through the last few weeks of
intellectual exploitation does not appear to have required much in the
way of recuperation.

Throughout your enlightening jeremiad, i expected two words to perch
somewhere on the edge of the end of the post:

nuclear power

There's the post-living-off-the-dead-plan-that-was-not-a-plan (ie, the
plan not to do anything about the end of fossil fuel in order to make
nuclear required.) so the energy required for 'civilization' moves form
living off the dead to living off the living... or moving from merely
shitting in our own nests, like air, soil and water pollution; heart,
lung, brain and skin corrosives... to more genetic-level fuckin' around,
just like the will to will of biology, except will to will of physics,
energy industry considers such genetic-level toxicities both
controllable and cost-effective. ah the mutations of history, the
histories of mutation!

and isn't nukuler--as our dear leader pronounces it-- truly fitting for
the end of metaphysics, heidegger-wise? as the soft-skinned essence of
human existence is more and more mechanized by way of formulating all
cultural practices into modes of human resources; as all of metaphysics
converts to technology = nihilism = total mobilization of all beings
toward the arbitrary ends of humanity... so, the will to power, the will
to will... mirrors somehow the physics of the interchangeability of
energy/matter; and the poetry of power, physically, becomes the nuclear
arrangement of our future? so an insight by heid, that the worst is not
the bombs going off, but rather their not, and so the slow, long
synthesis of life, energy, power, matter, existence. a long, slow,
mutating re-shuffle of the ontic deck of ontological cards, while
continuing to pursue... what?

intentionality in search of an x...

Malcolm Riddoch wrote on 6/6/04, 11:52 AM:

> On Thursday, May 20, 2004, at 03:31 PM, I wrote:
>
> > Some of the more pessimistic ASPO predictions see peak
> > oil production this decade with a very steep depletion curve resulting
> > in some apocalyptic economic transitions such as collapse of large
> > scale agriculture in various regions (ie famines), a global market
> > crash and banking crisis, massive unemployment and more wars etc.
>
> A couple of days later Campbell has a revised estimate for peak:
>
> > The present model departs from earlier ones in recognition that the
> > Middle East no longer has sufficient spare capacity to discharge a
> > swing role. A volatile epoch of recurring price shocks and
> > consequential recessions dampening demand and price is now regarded as
> > more likely, with terminal decline setting in and becoming
> > self-evident by about 2010 (see http://www.peakoil.net and
> > http://www.energybulletin.net ).
>
> Lots of recent reports speculating about the Saudi's ability to
> increase production suggesting that the peak plateau may already have
> arrived with midpoint by 2008. If this turns out to be true then we're
> currently on the threshold of a gigantic transition in the structure of
> our modern globalised industrial civilization. I'm posting this not
> because I want to fuel the degradation of philosophy on this Heidegger
> list but quite the opposite, I think this transition is the primary
> motivating force in the turn towards the explicit, extreme nihilism of
> the will to will by the current leaders of the lone economic and
> military superpower. The pornographic torture scandals, illegal
> military adventurism, extralegal assassinations and incarceration,
> unilateral collapse of international law, mass murder of innocents,
> attacks on constitutionally guaranteed US civil rights, the bankrupting
> of the New Deal, the theft of the year 2000 election and the
> overwhelming regulation of corporate media as a propaganda tool are all
> merely effects of the urgent geo-strategic necessity for the leaders to
> think solely in terms of power.
>
> From the perspective of Heidegger's Nietzsche will to will itself is
> simply a reaction to the necessities of the current world order, as
> Heidegger points out the leaders themselves have been subjugated to
> that ordering and its calculative reasoning. Hitler, Roosevelt,
> Churchill, Bush and Blair have merely fulfilled their respective roles
> mediated by the play of global power and the historical logic of the
> will to will.
>
> It's Heidegger's contention that the will to will is the fundamental
> metaphysical principle for our modern human understanding of reality, a
> principle founded not in reason as such but in the historical ordering
> of human relations in accordance with the as yet still unthought
> essence of technology.
>
> In this sense the will to will is nothing merely subjective, rather
> it's the subjugating form of a modern understanding that is founded not
> [...]

  • Re: The Idea of Peak Oil
    • From: Malcolm Riddoch