Re: The Idea of Peak Oil

Malcolm Riddoch wrote on 6/6/04, 5:27 PM:

> The nuclear scenario is another nightmare though as even Indonesia has
> now become a net importer of oil and gas and is apparently looking at
> nuclear alternatives. The other side of nuclear power generation is of
> course nuclear arms proliferation and the production of some of the
> most toxic and militarily dangerous waste materials known to humankind.
> That doesn't solve the transport problem though nor industrial farming.
> But as Simmons says, either you shrink as a nation or you go nuclear.
> Bush seems to have been reasonably well informed about these problems
> since at least his initial election campaign. Cheney on the other hand
> is on the public record as fully recognising the coming energy crisis
> in 1999 when he was chairman of Halliburton.

two little teats of the milit/IND complex-iceberg; i suggest that the
cheney "energy" commission, late of lawsuits to open up how it was
contrived and other questions of origin and intention, was probably a
frank deliberation on energy needs, military potentials, foreign policy
strategies, and all the ways BushCo's resources could assist the
energy/power industries of Murika, perhaps discussing
end-of-fossilfuel-era-chatter, tho why would these bosses bother? they
keep eye on bottomline more than any other. they know.

notice for the first time on the telly: BP goes with "beyond petroleum"
as signifier... a hearty laugh at that, like kfc's recent "kitchen fresh
chicken" (and not Kentucky FRIED... all you cardiac patients) and so the
narrative weaves itself into the popular consciousness... something lies
"beyond petroleum"....

> Health, friends, family, happiness and a long life for all? I prefer
> the Star Trek version where the world joins together to eradicate
> poverty and overcome adversity through technological innovation. I vote
> we all go clean fusion and drive electric SUV's, and maybe Ronnie
> Raygun's aliens are still watching us waiting for some sign of
> intelligence before making friendly first contact. If we wanted to we
> could already have genetically modified flying pigs too.
>
> Who knows what comes next? I'd say there's plenty of room for
> pessimistic optimism if only someone somewhere has the power to start
> dealing with this problem. Someone needs to inform the public and soon.

i vote the fusion, too, and end of poverty... and little fairies
granting wishes.... and, for bobS, a bird of paradise flyin' outa
Cheney's arse...

but, wait, it probably is the magical that has to hit the scene in some
extraordinary-yet-ordinary way... and this thingie i'm typin' on is
exhibit A... (as to possibilities)... and what i want to be inscribing,
neurotically and so forth, is that energy/power and
technology/will-to-will dionysian dythrambic dyads are going to need
more magic than the handy-dandy merger of techno-gizmos that contrive
this here iMac... 'haps we need some exceedingly dangerous
neurotics--yep, cheney-esque--but at the other end of the geo-poltical
spectrum...