RE: fyi/Wm. R. Polk, "Thoughts on torture"

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens henry
Verzonden: zondag 30 mei 2004 18:00
Aan: heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Re: fyi/Wm. R. Polk, "Thoughts on torture"

Jan, thanks for the revelation about your birds and your insight on the
Lorenz/Polk biz.

It is odd that when Rene critiqued the biological essence of that
particular strategem, it surprised me, and I agree wholeheartedly with
you and with Rene's critique.

Or to say, Henry, a new Ark of Noach is needed to save all creatures
from the Darwinian flood of DNA, and restore them into their limits,
an old believed-in destination of man.
An animal or plant never exceeds the limits that are put on it by its
nature/essence. But when man exceeds his, the whole world becomes chaos!
Doves become rats, animals shrewd terrorists. Already this alone proves
that man is more than one animal, one thing among others: Dasein changes
everything as to its 'how', and so also as to its what. On account of
the very real relations Dasein has to beings-as-a-whole, and to the
Nothing as well.

When Viktor von Humboldt entered the South-American jungle, he noticed
how 'polite' its habitants are, how they make room for each other, and
behave the precise opposite of what our nature movies try to make us believe.
One night he went after a black panther, the Indians warned him: come back,
but he stood there in front of the wild animal, shining his light on it,
and admiring it without any fear. He was not attacked. BECAUSE he was not
afraid.

(it can be easily seen from here, that, if scientific reality is just
accepted, the road to essential questioning is blocked. The same goes
for every self-evidence, esp. common sense: it saves from philosophy
as a radical, unbiased questioning)

Then, acknowledging is not a minor thing, because the jemeinige self is
the ONLY place where reality 'is' (has meaning). Apart from it, it makes
hardly sense to talk of a reality in itself. That the earth existed a long
time before man, rather proves this, when more closely examined.

regards
rene

I focussed on the symbolic nature of "lion" and "dove" and the paradox,
irony. I didn't seriously attribute this lesson to biology. Thank you
again. The relationship between humans and animals is much too complex
for such an argument to offer any significance.

My grandfather kept pidgeons, and would release several hundred of them
at civic functions. Evidently they would whirl around like high flying
dervishes and impress the public and then fly home to Granddad's
backyard. "Stool pidgeon" here has the idiomatic meaning of a squealer,
one who reveals secrets and by which, breaks an honor of silence. I am
wondering at the etymological significance of your stooling and that
meaning.

Kindest regards,
Henry