Gurdjieff, Crowley, Heidegger

My purpose here is to attack the idea that authenticity is adlibidinal
anarchy (adlibidinal, i.e. pertaining to "free" and unfettered choice due to
whims, cf. Latin _ad libitum_). I will draw here a thin line; it is up to
you to follow it to the right conclusion.

Gurdjieff said: "Man does not live, but he is being lived!". Pretty much the
same stuff as Heidegger exposing the impersonal "the they" as ruling the
Existenz of the Dasein more than the Dasein himself/herself.

Gurdjieff was Master Therion's Master. I quote
http://www.llewellynencyclopedia.com/term/Magick : 'According to the famous
occultist Aleister Crowley, magick is "the Science and Art of causing Change
to occur in conformity with Will."' Will means following a purpose, and
intelligent behavior is getting such purpose done. This is what authenticity
is all about. (I hope it won't get confused with Machiavellian "end excuses
the means" - while Machiavellian purposes are pragmatic yet ignoble, true
authenticity is about those lofty purposes which produce an enduring
culture.)

Authenticity is becoming from a cogwheel in a mechanism, a person inside a
hierarchy (of mind and value). Philosophy is just that: putting some order
into the nonsense of empirical facts (for tautologies, they are facts,
also).

While some emotionality is the kind of grass which tempts the bulls of
knowledge towards higher spirituality, every one of us who saw the attack of
anger of another person knows that the emotion is a source of anarchy.

You see, therefore, authenticity has nothing to do with Crowley-like
behavior! If people confuse it with anarchical behavior it is because they
did not read Master Therion's Master (he was all about knowledge, work and
order).

Of course, such work and order has nothing to do with babbling about doing
the good, serving humanity or being a slave of The Almighty. It is getting
beyond good and evil, in a meaning which Nietzsche guessed it is there, yet
it ever escaped him, for he was not potent enough to have his children from
lady Eternity.

Tudor Georgescu

http://intellect-club.nl.eu.org