RE: anti or antique heidegger?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens
GEVANS613@xxxxxxx
Verzonden: donderdag 21 oktober 2004 13:09
Aan: heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: GEVANS613@xxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Re: anti or antique heidegger?

In a message dated 21/10/2004 02:08:56 GMT Standard Time, janstr@xxxxxxx
writes:

Hi Jud, you wrote:

>History tells us he was certainly a *university brute* though.

Jud,
Hi Jan. In fact I am in self-imposed [unilateral] purdah at the moment and
cannot use certain words at the risk of hurting the sensibilities
of certain Heideggerians with a more sensitive feminine stomach.
Nevertheless, although I don't really want to discuss Heidegger's political history at
the moment, being that the letter I wrote to you pre-dates the start of my
self-imposed isolation from all things XXXX, and particularly all things XXXX
in relation to Heidegger - I will respond to your message using code to
circumnavigate the use of these trigger-words which upset the Der Heidegger ewige
Bewunderung-Gesellschaft so much.

Jan:
Jud, the 'Academia' is a snake pit, always was and always will be.
Especially among professors, but also among the academical
proletariat, there has always been fierce rivalry, nasty backbiting,
malicious gossip and worse.

Jud:
Yes, Jan, I go along with you there. I have heard accounts like that from
so many sources.
I have also seen and read many quite vituperative attacks upon the work of
one professor by another.
I have also observed the way that some academics suck up to the University
authorities at various cocktail parties I have attended.
Yes, in that way there is no difference from the naked scramble for
preferment which one witnesses in any other profession and at ceremonies such as *The
Hollywood Awards* pantomimes. The only difference is the academical
preference for the stiletto rather than the claymore.

I doubt if this is realistic. The problem is rather the opposite:
nasty philosophers are blocked like terrorists. If you don't have social skills,
or interests, you're out. This is far more dangerous than scolding. In fact,
and to be short, it is the definitive incorporation into the Gestell.
I see the products here. They cite each other, and then their status rises.
Their books are now sold in bulks, so that the stocks are filled with paper,
but that is the idea of Gestell. Weh dem.... They are paid, but so despicable.
From a certain point they're no longer despicable, they're just ...
a glass of water, ... without water.

Jan:
What Heidegger did to Husserl and others (and what others did to him) was
nothing special, it is of
all times and all ages, these are the laws of the academical jungle,
and it has nothing to do with Heidegger's alleged dubious character
or the treacherous Nazi-regime.

Jud:
As I am in self-imposed cognitive purdah at the moment I am not really at
liberty to
discuss this subject, nor mention the dreaded *14th-letter of the alphabet
word* in relation to Heidegger.
All I will say is that Husserl's exclusion from the university was
wholeheartedly supported by Heidegger,
who personally voted for this exclusionary policy. Consider this chronology
of the early months of 1933.

Feb 27th 1933. *8th letter of alphabet* suspends constitution. Freedom of
speech, assembly, privacy of mail suspended
Mar 7th 1933: 81 elected members of parliament arrested and sent to a
concentration camp.
Mar 23rd 1933 Plenipotentiary powers [dictatorship] given to *8th letter
of alphabet*.
April 5th 1933. *Cleansing Law* is passed - Jews and Marxists barred from
civil service [including teaching at university.]
May 1st 1933 Heidegger ostentatiously joins 14th letter of alphabet
party.

What more evidence is required that what Heidegger did to his old friend and
mentor was to justify, agree to, lend support for, acquiesce and condone his
expulsion from teaching. All this was in line with the religious mysticism
which you have rightly identified as being the leitmotiv that runs through
his whole philosophical oeuvre? But what you fail to mention is that this
religious mysticism was very much harnessed to his weird ideas of German
uniqueness in the sense of racial superiority, and as the natural inheritors of the
Greek incipience, and the foundation of such an outlook in the blood and soil
of the German Volk blah, blah, blah. Furthermore, I'm sure if he could have
insinuated Rhine Maidens and his Teutonic Gotter into the religious script, as
armed, ministering angels, or a *palace-guard* to a blonde-haired Heavenly
Father above he would have done.

All lies Jud, congratulations. If you go on like this, soften your language,
disguise your lies, you can join the academia. As to me, i' say: don't fight
your oral incontinency, it's bad for the stomach.

rene

Jud: [previously]
>With all due respects to your dear father Jan, we are not talking about
>Heidegger's activities DURING the war, a war it can be argued that
>Heidegger helped bring about as a result of his political involvement
>with Hitler.

Jan:
But if you stretch this line of argument then everybody, who was in
some way or another politically involved with Hitler, would be guilty
of bringing about the war...

Jud:
Yes, I am. *8th letter of alphabet's* policy was known to all. He had vowed
to *hang a Jew from every lamppost.*
Everybody was aware of what lay ahead.

Jan:
and this would then imply Britain, France,
Holland, Russia etc. too as Rene has argued so many times here.

Jud:
No, it wouldn't. As far as I know none of the allied leadership announced
that
he planned to *hang a Jew from every lamppost.* Unless that is - you know
differently perhaps?
Do you think that if in the depression days of USA [1930s] Roosevelt instead
of introducing the *New Deal* would instead have
promised to *hang a Jew from every lamppost,* thereby practically turning
New York into a ghost-town, or even promised to pack them all off to
Madagascar, that the Democrats would have gained power?

Jud: [earlier]
>It was the period during the establishment of the *war party* when
>he offered and provided his influential backing by running here, there
>>and everywhere propagandising and organising.

Jan:
Heidegger was in no way an influential personality in those days (and
if he ever was later, i doubt that too).

Jud:
"It is understood already in THE BROADEST CIRCLES that he is considered
to be the Philosopher of XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX."

A letter from the XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX Association chief Walter
Gross dated Feb. 26, 1934, to the Foreign Policy Office of the XXXX Party,
headed by Alfred Rosenberg.
[Later executed for War Crimes]

Jan:
He certainly was a *rising star*
at the philosophical firmament and the Nazi-regime cleverly used him
in that capacity, but he never became or was a party-ideologue in any
true sense; no that role was far better played by figures as Rosenberg,
Krieck or Baeumler.

Jud:
An ideologue is an advocate of some ideology [see any dictionary]
Heidegger's weekend *political education* camps, to which he marched the
columns of his students,
all wearing their uniforms, and the subsequent discussions, [no mention of
Jews? Get real!] about
the glory of the XXXX party etc.
NOT the intentional activity of an ideologue? C'mon Jan - it's bad enough
trying to kid other people - but when
one starts to kid oneself, it's time to step back and make some sort of a
lifestyle or hermenuetical reassessment.

Jud [earlier]
>There was no *rush* then - certainly not the kind of frenetic haste as
>far as decision-making was concerned. He sat quietly in his study,
>reckoned that the men in jackboots was his best bet - and went for it.

Jan:
I was not thinking about Heidegger personally rushing and speeding
around from here to there and everywhere;

Jud:
Neither was I - I was making the point that in that twilight period prior to
the assumption of dictatorship
and the arrest of the properly elected deputies, and the enactment of the
laws which were meant to kick out Husserl and all the other Jews,
Heidegger had plenty of time to sit quietly alone and consider what was best
for Germany Obviously one of the things which he considered best for Germany
was the sacking of all Jews who worked for the government - civil service,
firebrigade, police, health departments, schools, colleges and universities,
marriage registration, aviation and transport industries - you name it. In
other words he was an out and out racists - because he joined the party AFTER
the laws were introduced. Because of that he could not plead that *I didn't
realise what was going to happen to the Jews - because he KNEW what was
happening to them and he KNEW that *the 8th letter* had boasted that he was going to
hang one from every lampost, and the total exclusion of Jewry from the life
of the country when *8th letter* excluded them all, was a damn good signal
that his original threat concerning Jews and lampposts was very probably in the
offing. Now no amount of sophistry and rationaisation can alter this fact.
heidegger was a frothing-at-the- mouth rabid member of the XXXX party and
remained so in his heart until the damp soil of the grave-spoil was sprinkled on
his coffin.

Jan:
no, what i meant to say was the speed of the actuality of societal and
political life in general
(in the sense of Virillo's dromology). The turmoil and revolutionay,
sometimes messianic, spirit that raged through all western societies
after the crash of 1928 and the following deep depression, created a
political vector with immense instability, nobody wanted to look back
or even dared to step back and take a pause to think things over, afraid
that somebody else would take the lead and leave you behind. Of what
my father told me, those years were insanely hectic: everyday there was
world-breaking-news, political figures went as quick as they came, as
was with hope and dispair, what you believed in today was dangerous
tomorrow.

Jud:
A good description of the zeitgeist at the time Jan - but EVEN THAT is no
excuse to vote for or even worse JOIN [with a flourish]
a political party whose leader had promised to hang a Jew from every
lamppost [which meant millions of men, women and children] - or is it not? You
tell me.

Jan:
Remains the question if Heidegger should have apologized openly and
publicly for his involvement with the Nazi-regime ? It certainly would
have been a "grand gesture" if he had done it, but he didn't.

Jud:
Not only a *grande gesture* Jan - it would have been a *human gesture * too.

Jan:
He took an other way. He took the road of self-punishment by imprisoning
himself
in his mountain cabine; a very Lutheran and pietistic choice, i think. He
locked himself up far away from the world, a world in which he could
have easely become a world celebrated philosopher with many students
flocking around from allover the world.

Jud:
You over-romanticise a very calculating embittered old XXXX, who took to his
cabin not to commune with Clotho, Lachesis and Atroposor, but take solace in
the mystical racism of the lunatic mystic Hoelderlin, and to sulk over the
German defeat and the stupidly of his attempt to distinguish a historical and
cultural correlation between the grandeur of the *Greek Insipience* and the
hordes of bullet-headed jackbooted thugs who pushed young kids into gas
chambers. and to cry into his schnapps, and to give solicitous Jews bearing gifts
the bum's rush [Celan] at the realisation of the tremendous tactical mistake
he had made, which would tarnish his name and his philosophy forever in the
future

yours,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---