[mpisgmedia] FW: Re: [IHC: 3rd Master Plan / informal recycling sector, 15.12.04, 6:30pm]

If anyone goes for this, please post an account

----

From: ESG India <esg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Moushumi Ghosh Roy <moushumi_gr@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

We are workiing with the Directorate of Municipal Adminstration of Karnataka, Dept of Environment and forests, and the Raichur City Council in developing a comprehensive SWM strategy for raichur City in North Karnataka over the past year. We have developed many insights into the problem, but there is overwhelming evidence that the reckless initiatives introduced in bringing in large scale infrastructural development, has largely limited the chances of integrating a human centred process of SWM. What I can broadly state is that there is needless reliance on collection and transport technologies, quite unsuited to local situations, and most often not at all involving local skills.

It is a very complicated case for me to comment on what we can do to get out of this technocratic minded engagement, that seems now to be epidemic across the country.. This initiative to bring the focus back on the Wastepickers (both itinerant and organised) and make their rights and roles central to SWM work could not have been more timely.

I am in Delhi on the 14th for a meeting, and in case I can manage to stay, then I will most certainly attend this meeting. Failing which I will be grateful for notes.

best wishes

leo Saldanha
Environment Support Group