Re: [mpisgmedia] FSI and TDR

Just some updates from Mumbai:

In Mumbai, development started getting controlled through FSI since 1964 and TDR was used since the begining of 1990s... Both adopted from the US planning processes.

FSI: Floor Space Index is the ratio between the built up area allowed and plot area available. So as geeta explains, if FSI is 1 then on a plot of 100 sqmts, one can build 100 sqmts of built up area and with setbacks and openspaces, the building can be higher than one floor. Simply it means that higher the FSI, higher built up area is possible...or more simply: higher floors. In Mumbai, the Island city has an FSI of 1.33, the suburbs have an FSI of 1 and other distant suburbs have an FSI of 0.7.

TDR: Transfer of Development Rights is the Right to develop over one plot that can be transferred over another plot. For example, the island city of Mumbai has an FSI of 1.33 and for some reasons, the owner is not allowed to consume the whole FSI on his/her plot, then the remaining FSI can be used on another plot (ofcourse there are several conditions). This remaining FSI can also be sold in the open market.

In case of Mumbai, TDRs were used initially to compensate plot owners whose development right was ristricted due to some public programmes like widening of roads etc. Later this was used for compensating owners of Heritage buildings who could not develop their lands. More recenntly they have been used in case of Slum Redevlopments where additional development rights could not be consumed on a plot due to over density reasons. There is also talks about using TDR for redevelopment of old buildings. Another detail about TDR is that it can be only used in the same or nothern ward of the generating plot... Hence you could see sudden additions to suburban buildings that have high property value.

The more severe of these things and the one that have created a mess in the city is the ADR: Additional development Right. These are given to rehabilitate slums or redevelop old buildings with an intention that from the profit that gets generated of the additional right, the redevelopment/rehabilitation work can be undertaken.

Prasad Shetty.
Mumbai