Re: [mpisgmedia] JnNURM: Greater-Hyderabad

| Hyd, Viz & Vjw were also DfID slum project cities
| (others were Calcutta, Indore, Kochi, Cuttack)
| Viz & Vjw, besides Indore, were covered in 1996-97
| DfID Urban Poverty Impact Assessment Study
| (I was senior consultant & that was my last)

3 cities selected for urban mission in AP

Special Correspondent

HYDERABAD: ... identified for implementing the mission are Hyderabad,
Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, all in Andhra Pradesh, and Chennai, Madurai and
Coimbatore of Tamil Nadu. The Centre will release its 50 per cent share
towards the cost only after the State contributes the other half for any
project taken up under the scheme whose ultimate aim is eradicating urban
poverty covering all the areas in the city, especially slums.

M. Rajamani, Joint Secretary, Union Ministry of Urban Development, told
reporters at a national meeting on the mission at the MCR HRD Institute
here on Friday that the cities listed for the mission would, however, have
to streamline their revenue earning and show credit-worthiness to be
eligible to get the Central funds. He said implementation of reforms was
also mandatory for the cities like proper collection of property tax and,
if necessary, its enhancement to the extent required

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/28/stories/2006012812000100.htm