[mpisgmedia] JNNURM (Vjw): who is fighting?

--- Vinay Baindur <yanivbin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Intersting that the left parties are themselves
> fighting on this
> Vinay
>
> *CPM, CPI lock horns over JNNURM proposals in
> Vijayawada Council
> *
> The CPM corporators...
> They alleged that the proposals contained several
> anti-people measures like
> the fixing of water meters.
> with CPI floor leader P
> Gowtham Reddy accusing the CPM of trying to sow
> confusion in the minds of
> the people on JNNURM to get political mileage.

===

wow! sowing-confusion-about-JNNURM becoming poltickly
mileage material? and, er, how is fixing water meters
anti-people?

Fighting? Just squabbling on same side of the
battle-line! (After the Delhi Spl Law it should be
obvious the Mission is indeed for dismantling planning
& development law. And lay look at the IPO expose
tells where the private monies to finance the Mission
are to come from. The combo smells of something like
the S Asian meltdown).

Vijaywada, as far as I know was already in mission
mode by end 90s with DfID city-wide slum project done
and DfID AP Urban Poverty Project underway. I remember
making a presentation to the VMC of my DfID SIP
official impact study findings in 97. I had quite
awful findings or, more accurately,
intended-impacts-not-found report and quite a few
bizarre unintended impacts to report, with very
telling pictures (my favourites were door-numbers on
furniture in duly-improved-with-security-of-tenure
flood prone riverfront settlements, streets-of-steps
in duly-improved-n-consolidating settlements climbing
hillsides, sanitaryware disposed in cc drains in
resettlement-with-twin-pit-tois in black cotton soil).
The VMC chaps thought my study made good case for
APUPP to include SIP cities to finish the job. I
thought job was finished then. (btw, one of the
queries I had for VMC was how they hoped to meter
water connections in the settlements of my favourite
pics since the supply system was designed not to work)