Idgah Public Notice � subverted!

There are news reports today of MCD Commissioner?s
plans for advertising in the Wall Street Journal for
international construction bids for ? modernization of
Idgah Abattoir. After the discussion at IIC on
02.06.03 a number of responses ? someone said about 70
? were filed to the Ministry?s Public Notice for this.
Looks like yet another Public Notice is getting
subverted.

http://www.delhiscienceforum.org/dmp2021/documents/A_Idgah.htm

I propose that we keep others posted about what we do
further. I have sent the following to Secretary MoUD
with copies to others.

------------------------

Secretary, MoUD

Sub:
Idgah Public Notice and today?s news reports about MCD
plans for Idgah Abattoir

Sir,
News papers have reported today MCD?s plans for
modernisation of the Idgah Abattoir at a cost of Rs 5
crores, for which it is going to place advertisements
inviting international construction bids in the global
edition of the Wall Street Journal.

MCD?s plan is in contravention of the Master Plan as
Abattoir is an H-category use requiring shifting from
Walled City since 1962 and has not been allowed by due
process of s.11A for Plan modification. Public Notice
issued by Ministry on 06.05.03 for change of landuse
in Idgah area spoke of setting up an Abattoir, not
modernising the existing one, and objections filed in
response have yet to be heard.

In view of the above you are requested to:
(a) restrain MCD from pursuing or inviting bids for a
Master Plan violation, and
(b) provide information about status of Idgah Public
Notice process

I would like to reiterate from my response to the
Public Notice the point that incompatible uses in
Walled City are objectionable not only for reasons of
being noxious (which ?modernisation? may well take
care of) but also because heritage management of the
Walled City is predicated upon releasing space by
shifting them out, as explicitly provided for in the
Plan since 1962.

Permit me to point out in this context that on
06.05.03 newspapers reported MCD?s ?action plan?,
pursuant to Supreme Court directions, for conservation
of the Walled City. According to the reports MCD was
planning ?international seminar? in July and working
on ideas from ?experts?, such as that entire streets
rather than just individual buildings be taken up with
participation of residents. On 20.05.03 it was
reported that MCD had prepared a draft for
conservation of buildings that its Standing Committee
had passed, likely to be sent to Delhi and Central
Government by July. Also on 20.05.03 it was reported
that area MP Mr Vijay Goel, while announcing the
Annual Chandni Chowk festival, had called for
attention to the Walled City, recognised as a world
heritage city by UNESCO. On 13.05.03 newspapers
reported Mr Goel had obtained from Chief Minister
assurance that formalities would soon be completed for
a Walled City Development Board and a ?White Paper?
brought out within 20 days to address problems of the
area. Mr Goel had emphasised need for de-congestion
and for participation.

There is, obviously, all round concern for heritage
management of the Walled City with citizens?
involvement. You are requested to inform all concerned
about statutory provisions of the Master Plan that
provide a holistic framework within which all
interventions could be most effectively synergised and
also that the only legal inclusive mechanism for
citizens? participation is Public Notice process.

MCD Commissioner has recently told me that, as in
London, he thinks the Master Plan is an outdated
concept and that ?dynamic planning? is what should be
done. I am sure you will be able to impress upon him
the fact that hit-or-miss ?dynamic planning?
interventions outside the ambit of the statutory
framework of the Master Plan and Public Notice process
for making necessary adjustments in it are not only
illegal but unlikely to add up to anything worthwhile
in the complex situation obtaining in the Walled City,
a singularly inappropriate context for
experimentation.

Looking forward to a response to this letter as well
as to my response to the Idgah Public Notice.

Yours sincerely

Gita Dewan Verma
B.Arch (SPA, gold medalist); M.Planning (SPA, gold
medalist); PG Dip-Research (IHS-Rotterdam, top rank);
Dip-Training (DoPT)
Formerly: Senior Fellow (HUDCO-HSMI), Visiting Faculty
(SPA, TVB SHS), Consultant (DfID, IHSP, Nuffic,
UNICEF, etc)
Currently: Independent planning researcher and writer
and planning consultant to citizens? groups

cc:
DDA VC, for information of development in
contravention of Master Plan and s.11A process
Under Secretary (Delhi Division), with request to add
to my response dt. 03.06.03 to Public Notice
Commissioner (Planning) DDA, for comment with
reference to your views in ToI Q&A of 16.06.03
Commissioner MCD, for information