NCR development

At a meeting to discuss the problem of just about 1
lakh people who sleep on streets in Delhi the Chief
Minister made a huge point of lack of NCR development,
which seems to have become her latest universal cause
of every problem. This incidentally was just after
Amod Kanth, obviously having changed his mind since
his November writings, had pointedly said to her that
the problem of the homeless was not really due to
excessive migration to Delhi. Just this week I?d
written her a letter about how her International
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (coming up in
bhagidari with some NRI doctor in Chicago after
repainting the board that mentioned a government
hospital gifted in bhagidari to Vasant Kunj flat
residents in 2000) is, among other things, getting in
the way of NCR development by virtue, rather vice, of
being located in green belt here in violation of the
Plan rather than elsewhere in NCR in accordance with
it. Here is the text of the letter (of 23.07.03 in
continuation of one of 18.10.03)

Dear Madam,

In my letter under reference I had pointed out how an
International Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences
would be in contravention of Delhi Master Plan
anywhere in Vasant Kunj, even Delhi, and also that the
100-bed government hospital coming up here was a land
use violation (green belt infringement, to be
precise). In my letter of 05.12.03 about a newsreport
in which you expressed disapproval of ?DDA?s penchant
for unplanned growth? in Vasant Kunj I mentioned the
Institute and hospital among Delhi Government?s own
unplanned interventions here. The list of
correspondence since 2000 I sent pursuant to our
meeting on 29.05.03 also mentions both these letters.

I have received a copy of letter No.CMO/PGC/2003/20390
dated 02.07.03 from your OSD to Commissioner
(Planning) DDA forwarding my subsequent letter in
which I had (1) asked if DDA?s unplanned Sultangarhi
scheme had GoNCT/DJB concurrence (mentioned in the
enclosed letter in the context of your Liver
Institute) and (2) made some observations about your
remarks about the statutory Master Plan and about
planners.

Now the board for Delhi Govt. hospital in green belt
has been repainted for the Liver Institute that is
illegal for being in contravention of Master Plan land
use and norms and Delhi Development Act s.11A and
contrary to regional dispersal and city environment
goals in particular and overall equity and
sustainability concerns of the Master Plan in general.

As mentioned in my enclosed letter, your Liver
Institute will be amidst an up-coming posh
unauthorized colony of the type (besides the one
likely to ?benefit? from the diappearance of the
Nanawati Commission?s hard disc) you had said in a
public statement that the likes of me (planners) have
no courage to demolish. I have already mentioned in
the letter forwarded by your OSD to DDA that the likes
of me are not empowered by the Constitution and can
only request our duly elected representatives to
exercise their responsibilities ? or, if you like,
powers ? to demolish illegal development and ensure
development strictly according to Plan.

I am writing now to make two requests:
(1) I request you as my government?s Chief Minister to
please direct demolition at the earliest of all
illegal green belt infringements around and including
your Government hospital turned Liver Institute (using
powers arising from Delhi Government?s representation
on DDA and provisions of the Act and Plan) and
immediate stoppage of ground water withdrawal for them
in violation of CGWA notification (using powers
delegated by CGWA to Delhi Government).
(2) I request you, in elaboration of the suggestion
already made in my enclosed letter, to direct NCRPB
(using powers as CM of Delhi, for delimitation of
whose population NCR and NCRPB were created by law) to
identify a suitable site for your Liver institute
elsewhere in NCR. This would be consistent with NCR
promotion goals for failure on which you have lately
been reported, truly but not wholly truly, blaming the
Centre (?Centre does little to promote NCR: Sheila?,
The Hindu, 17.07.03).

Looking forward also to hearing from your office on
issues of planned development (duly defined in law as
development according to Master Plan and not open to
any other interpretation in Delhi in view of our land
policy) raised in my letters, as promised to me
pursuant to my letter of 30.05.2003.

Best regards

Yours sincerely