Sources: Deleuze & Guattari & Feminism (fwd)

Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 14:55:02 -0500
From: Michael Current <mcurrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sources: Deleuze & Guattari & Feminism
Comments: To: Kathy Ryder <ryder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: cc: WMST-L <wmst-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
May 27, 94 10:07:07 am

Kathy Ryder writes:

> Hi, Michael,
> Thanks for the reference. Yes, I would appreciate having a list
> of critiques and perspectives re Guatari and DeLeuze. I'm glad you
> reminded me of *Anti-Oedipus*. .
>
> Kathy
> ryder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've taken the liberty of posting the following to the whole list as it
may be of general interest.

Michael

The following is a brief bibliography of English-language secondary
sources related to Deleuze and Guattari and feminism. (I can supply more
general sources upon request).

[For Deleuze and Guattari on gender issues, in addition to _Anti-Oedipus_
and _A Thousand Plateaus_, see also:
Guattari, Felix. "Becoming a Woman." In _Molecular Revolution:
Psychiatry and Politics_. Trans. Rosemary Sheed. New York: Penguin
Books, 1984. Pp. 233-235. (BEWARE OF THIS TRANSLATION).
_____. "A Liberation of Desire: An Interview by George Stambolian." In
_Homosexualities and French Literature: Cultural Contexts/Critical Texts.
Ed. Stambolian and Elaine Marks. Ithica: Cornell University Press, 1979.
Pp. 56-69].

Bradotti, Rosi. _Patterns of Dissonance: A Study of Women in Contemporary
Culture._ New York, Routledge, 1991. Esp. chapters 3 and 5.

This is supplemented by:

_____. "Discontinuous Becomings: Deleuze on the Becoming-Women of
Philosophy." _Journal of the British Society of Phenomenology_ 24.1
(January 1993): 44-55.

_____. "Embodiment, Sexual Difference and the Nomadic Subject."
_Hypatia_ 8.1 (Winter 1993): 1-13.

_____. "Towards a New Nomadism: Feminist Deleuzian Tracks; or
Metaphysics and Metabolism." In _Gilles Deleuze and the Theatre of
Philosophy_, Ed. Constantin V. Boundas and Dorothea Olkowski. New York:
Routledge, 1994. Pp. 159-186.

Brown, Lisa. "Transexuality: Crossing Over or Becoming." _Parachute_ 65
(January 1992): 34-39.

Chisholm, Dianne. "Feminist Deleuzions: James Joyce and the Politics of
'Becoming-Woman.'" _Canadian Review of Comparative Literature/Revue
Canadienne de Litterature Comparee_, March/June 1992, pp. 201-224.

Extavasia, Audrey, and Tessa Dora Addison. "Fucking (With Theory) For
Money: Towards an Interrogation of Escort Prostitution." _PostModern
Culture_ (paper and e-journal) 2.3 (May 1992).

Griggers, Cathy. "Lesbian Bodies in the Age of (Post)mechanical
Reproduction." In _Fear of a Queer Planet: Queer Politics and Social
Theory_. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1993. Pp. 178-192.

Grosz, Elizabeth. "A Thousand Tiny Sexes: Feminism and Rhizomatics."
_Topoi_ 12.2 (September, 1993): 167-179. Reprinted in _Gilles Deleuze
and the Theatre of Philosophy_ (See Braidotti, above), pp. 187-210.

Henke, Suzette. _James Joyce and the Politics of Desire_. New York:
Routledge: 1990.

Hodge, Joanna. "Feminism and Post-Modernism: Misleading Diversions
Imposed by the Opposition Between Modernism and Postmodernism." In _The
Problems of Modernity: Adorno and Benjamin._ Ed. Andrew Benjamin. New
York: Routledge, 1989. Pp. 86-111.

Jardine, Alice. "Woman in Limbo: Deleuze and His Br(others)."
_SubStance_ 44/45 (1984): 46-60. Reprinted in Jardine's _Gynesis:
Configurations of Woman of Modernity_. Ithaca: Cornell University Press,
1985.

[Many works take up Deleuze's book on _Masochism_ seperately, especially
literary and film criticism. I have not tried to list those here.
Undoubtedly the fullest feminist application of Deleuze's theory of
masochism is:
Studlar, Gaylyn. _In the Realm of Pleasure: Von Sternberg, Dietrich, and
the Masochistic Aesthetic._ Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1988.]

I think D&G can be read profitably from a feminist/gender studies
perspective in tandem with Donna Haraway's works of "cyborg feminism."
One article that begins to go in that direction is:

Stivale, Charles J. "Mille/Punks/Cyber/Plateaus: Science Fiction and
Deleuzo-Guattarian 'Becomings.' _SubStance_ 66 (1991): 66-84.

A very good discussion of D&G's theories on sexuality can be found in:
Shaviro, Steven. _The Cinematic Body_. Minneapolis: University of
Minnesota Press, 1993. "Appendix: Deleuze and Guattari's Theory of
Sexuality."

Probably the best overall survey of D&G's work in
English remains:
Massumi, Brian. _A User's Guide to Capitalism and Schizophrenia_:
Deviations from Deleuze and Guattari._ Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1992.
[Massumi explicitly addresses the "becoming-woman" theme in
uncompromising terms, calling the specific formulation "indeed
sexist," while, like Braidotti and Grosz, seeing aspects of the
overall treatment of gender and of becoming that can be useful in
women's (and others) struggles. See pp. 86-89.]

This whole section of Massumi's book ("Habit," pp. 47-92) may be the
most useful explication currently available of D&G's "anti-Freudian"
theories.
ANYONE HAVING ADDITIONS TO THIS LIST, PLEASE POST THEM TO ME OR SEND THEM
TO ME VIA PRIVATE E-MAIL.

Also, anyone interested in Deleuze and Guattari is welcome to join the
Deleuze list which I moderate - send the message "subscribe deleuze" to
majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. This is a great place to ask questions, test
ideas, and gather references.

Hope this helped.

Michael