ARCHITECTURE: Artificial Intelligence.

- - The original note follows - -

From: dwharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx (DANTE WILLIAM HARPER)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: The Future.
Date: 23 Oct 92 17:29:39 GMT
Sender: news@xxxxxxxx (USENET News System)
Originator: dwharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**********************************************Some recent posts from Comp.ai

From Paul Singleton;

It's certainly possible to use AI-related techniques e.g. to generate
floor plans to satisfy constraints about room sizes, windows, adjacencies
etc. - there was a paper about this at the Practical Application of Prolog
conference earlier this year. NB this doesn't work "by looking up similar
designs", but *generates* them, so is in a sense creative/original. If I
were an architect I would want to automate as much of my expertise as
possible, to increase the ratio of creative effort to mundane effort, and
let me explore more alternatives. I guess car designers do this already.
----
__ __ Paul Singleton (Mr) JANET: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|__) (__ Computer Science Dept. other: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| . __). Keele University, Newcastle, tel: +44 (0)782 621111 x7355
Staffs ST5 5BG, ENGLAND fax: +44 (0)782 713082

From Dr. Michael Brambley

Will AI be applied to Building design. You bet!! There are already
Autocad addins to check structs and estimate costs. In time a system
to look over a design and critque it will be possible. How about a
system that compairs the design to the National Build Code?

My brother is an architect. 10 Years ago he could not see a place forcomputers
in the ART. More recent experience with drfting programs has
cured some of he bias. Sure AI may not fill the ART part in the near future.
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In fact, there is a project at Pacific Northwest Laboratory (PNL) which
is exploring exactly this problem. The US Department of Energy (DOE) is
funding the project, titled Advanced Energy Design and Operation
Technologies (AEDOT). In conjunction with architecture researchers from
the University of Oregon, Cal Poly (SLO) and Lawrence Berkeley National
Laboratory, PNL researchers are developing an architect's advisor which
will review design plans as they are developed and make suggestions
regarding the areas above.

DOE's interest is primarily in issues related to energy efficiency. But
since so many factors in a building's design can affect its efficiency,
all of the areas above are being explored. The goal is to develop an
enhanced building design team in which human designers and
computer-based "designers" work together, much in the same way
architects, HVAC engineers, and landscape designers work together today.

So, AI isn't dead. Neither is it (IMHO) going to progress to the point
where AI systems have complete control of architectural design. The
field requires a designer who is intelligent, creative, and able to
determine and then apply design guidelines to a set of goals. While
computer systems can help in applying the design guidelines once they
are specified, they cannot solicit that information from the client.

For more information on AEDOT and the DOE's projects in that area,
contact:

Dr. Michael Brambley
Pacific Northwest Laboratory
P.O. Box 999
Richland, WA 99352

mr_brambley@xxxxxxx

****************************************************************8

Particular thanks to Richar Zoebel for reading and responding:

I'd still like to see some treatise on the aesthetics of personal vision; it is
in the execution of personalized artifacts that I see us regaining a culture.
Certainly, our definition of culture must change or at least, be retrofitted for
the post-industrial age. As long as there are human individuals, however, I
would have to say that there IS a culture (however strained) and the expression
of a culture is in the expression of individual views as artifact. I believe
that there IS a culture, just suddenly hidden, suddenly removed from view by
the acts, not of mass-production, but of mass-standardization and mediation.
But such things are left to those withmore time than I...

--

"Did it seem that long ago? Dante W Harper
It was when you still thought dwharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
you thought, and still believed 429-a S Boylan Ave
that part of you still managed Raleigh, NC 27603
to believe." -bright 919 856 9250

(in hopes that some sharp might get a laugh out of my credit history)