ARCHITECTURE: Organic.

- - The original note follows - -

From: jmcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (John McDonald)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: High Tech Organic
Date: 11 Jan 93 23:49:19 GMT
Sender: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here's a topic for discussion:

I have a bit of experience in the sciences where the
primary aesthetic is "Form follows function", but my
interest in architecture is of the organic sort.
Forms of space that look to have grown right from
the ground. Do you think these two ideas are compatible?
I do, but haven't completed my ideas on the matter.

Reyner Banham held a class at the Univ of Calif at Santa
Cruz in High Tech Architecture, and i argued that that
form of building could be accomplished with organic
materials (wood, brick, stone) as difficult as that may
seem.

In the Santa Cruz mountains is a house that is partially
underground, but also incorporates a former metal grain
silo with handsome porthole porches.

The closest compatibility for these ideas may come in
observatory design, where the function of the telescopes
within may require a building in which organic, aerodynamic
forms are required for optimal performance....

Ideas?

Johnny