ARCHITECTURE: Christopher Alexander, Reply to Query About.

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: krona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Kjell Krona)
Subject: Re: Christopher Alexander
Sender: usenet@xxxxxx (Usenet)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1993 06:33:48 GMT

>I'm curious as to how Alexander is viewed in the architecture
>community. He has a medal from the AIA and a professorship at

At least in Sweden, I believe that Alexander has achieved a certain
"cult" status, and the books in our library are seldom resting at the
shelf... At the same time, it seems that his methods are hard to apply
with the good results that he himself seems to able to get - Alexander
himself has made this observation too - and therefore I think that his
role is more like inspiration in general than in teaching a particular
method. Since his houses are rather individual, it is also hard too see
that their "style" (or absence of it) could be copied. And this is what
most architectural magazines seems to be interested in exposing....

It has been rather quiet from Alexander for the last years, I believe.
Although I believe that he still teaches at Berkely, this might be
another reason that few people seem to talk about him today..

Perhaps it is not surprising that his earlier work should be more
talked about and referred to in (academic/scientific) works, since
this more mathematical ideas (which he later judged insufficient)
does not question the role of the architect, the building profession,
and developers like his later work does. Whether you like it or not,
you will have to agree that it is politically disturbing.

- kjell

krona@xxxxxxxxxxx (Kjell Krona)
Dept. of Architecture/Dept. of Numerical Analysis and Computer Science
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, S-100 44 Sweden