ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection?

I would be interested in some discussion... Thanks. Howard

- - The original note follows - -

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1993 12:07:11 EST
From: <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection?

A thesis student of mine is currently studying the question of the
question of connection between architecture and sculpture. I have
asked him to do 2 models, as follows:

One model is of a cube resting flat and in a static position on a
simple plane. It is to be surrounded by visual design elements
which define its environment. The VDEs are points, lines, planes,
surfaces, and solids. These define the equivalent of an architecture
which in itself defines an urban space.

Model two is a cube resting on a vertix and in a dymanic position on
a simple plane. It is to be surrounded by or be one of the surrounding
VDEs which define its environment. This is equivalent to a sculpture which
in itself either exists as an object in urban space or defines urban space
by its presence with other VDEs, either other sculptures or architectures.

Both models one and two must share the same concept of urban space to
be compared. That is, the urban defined urban space must contain the
same placement of VDEs, except for the variable of "architecture" and
"sculpture".

Once both model have been built, then the task is to connect them through
a common element. [Keep in mind that prior to this connection, some
movement of pieces (VDEs) may be needed to make this connection.]

The question now considered is one of what constitutes the architecture
as it is generated from the sculpture? Also, what constitutes the
sculpture as it comes from the architecture? The final question is,
what constitutes the interface (or formal condition of balance) between
the two generators of form?

What I am testing by this process and these queestions is balance between
architecture and sculpture.

I would hope to have some comments---and maybe even 3 models---as an answer
from several monitors of this BBS posting. [Basically, I believe the
answer is difficult to give VERBALLY.]

Howard Ray Lawrence
Architecture
College of Arts and Architecture
Penn State U
University Park, PA 16802

P.S.: I shall forward this to DESIGN-L at PSUVM.