Re: ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection?

Howard, re...
> When a building
> design is modified to signify a meaning more than its function signifies,=
then
> it is likely to have more meaning. Sculpture [as well as other arts,
> including architecture] has this means to give additional meaning to
> a building design.

I think the design and its significations go beyond the intentions of the
designer. I think that the "desi=E7ner" is steeped in the signs in his
everyday social life...as are his or her designs. The designer works with
that which is available, and what is available reflects the question of
meaning. (Resources are not "things"...but rather, they are ideas about
how one can configure the "physical" environment.) The design reflects
what is available to the designer. If that is "modernist" shapes and a
certain flavor of "functionality"...with all its emphasis on "positive
space" and its disregard for "negative space"...or whatever...then that's
what the design reflects. By reflecting this ideology (which is, after
all, a code for what is available according to everyday common sense), the
design reflects the ideology. Design reflects the times (even abberant
design).

Rick Freeman=09=09=09=09jeanbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Northern Rim Project=09=09=09
Missoula, Montana=09=09=09northernrim@xxxxxxx