From: enzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Guenter Enzi)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: GLOBAL VILLAGE BRAINSTORMING: 23.6. - 25.6
Date: 23 Jun 93 18:38:01

>From June 23rd to June 25th the First International Global Village
Symposium is taking place at the Faculty of Architecture and Planning,
University of Technology, Vienna. The main topics are the influence of
telecommunication technologies on both architecture and town-planning.

In addition to the 20 talks from various fields that will be held at the
symposium a telecommunications workshop will show recent videoconferncing
and workgroup technologies. As part of this workshop internet will be
used as a platform for a

G L O B A L V I L L A G E B R A I N S T O R M I N G

on the following five issues:

ISSUE A: Will TTs (Telecommunication Technologies) result in the
creation
of a decentralized global network of smaller independent units (Global
Village Scenario) or in the creation of a few centers of economic and
political power (Global City Scenario) ?

ISSUE B: Through fibre to the home TTs make working, shopping
etc.possible
without a need for a change of location. Will this potential actually
lead to a global reduction of traffic ?

ISSUE C: Will TTs change theory and practice of democracy ?

ISSUE D: TTs make many human activities
largely independent from the built environment. Is this the end of the
role of architecture as - interpretation and initiation of human
activities -
(Louis Sullivan) ?

ISSUE E: Which radical changes to existing building types (e.g. office
buildings or schools) and which new building types can we expect to
result from TTs ?

The results of the brainstorming will be integrated with video and
soundclips in a hypermedia document that will be produced in the course of
the symposium. We invite you to participate in the brainstorming and to
pass this information to whatever people you think it may concern. Every
participant will receive the compiled results of the brainstorming either
as text or in a hyperText - Format (see Appendix).

Our intention is to show which intensity of discussion and amount of
information about a topic can be achieved via global communication within
three days. If the results are encouriging enough we consider to extend the
discussion together with partner institutions.

Christian Kuehn (ckuehn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Thomas Pauli (tpauli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Elmar Schmidinger (es@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

University of Technology, Vienna
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Karlsplatz 13,1040 Wien, Austria

APPENDIX:

HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?

mail your thoughts (documents, pict s, sound s, ...) to our email-adress:
"globvill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". We will directly mail back messages
that concern your messages. The incomming messages can be read also with
gopher:
URL=gopher://info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at:70/11/globvill
the data will be joined with hypermedia-application xmosaic and
presentated.
possibilities to get in you get from "WHAT IS THE RESULT".

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED ?

basicly every machine with mail.
users of ALPHA, SGI, DEC, SUN, or IBM: can step in ftp-anonymous on
info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at. ,you can find the binary s of xmosaic
"/pub/mosaic" .
with "xmosaic -home ftp://info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at/globvill/logo.html";
you have direct contact to the hypermedia-dokument.
WWW-users can connect with
"URL=ftp://info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at/globvill/logo.html";.

WHAT INFORMATION SHALL I PROVIDE?

We will collect any statement, references, e-mail addresses of people and
institutions etc.
You can also propose entirely new issues or sub-issues.

Each incoming message will get an ID that you can refer to in your answers.
For structuring the final hypertext-document, we ask you to include the ID
of the document(s) you refer to in the header of your message and to add
one of the following link-types:
refers_to ID
objects_to ID
supports ID
responds_to ID
generalizes ID
specializes ID

WHICH LANGUAGES MAY I USE ?

The conference-languages are English and German, we ask you to use English
for the brainstroming, if possible.

WHAT IS THE RESULT ?

with the informations received with internet should be tried ,combined with
multimedia
information from the-global-village-event,to produce a
virtual-hypermedia-document.
information on this will be send to all participients

additionally questions and results will be presented at our infosystem
(WWW)
info.archlab.tuwien.ac.at and the email-adress www@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

University of Technology Vienna E-mail: ckuehn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Institut fuer Gebaeudelehre Phone: (+431) 58801-3351
A-1040 Wien, Karlsplatz 13 -3349
Austria, Europe Fax: (+431) 5041631

University of Technoloy Vienna
EDV-Labor d. Raumplanung und Architektur
A-1040 Wien, Karlsplatz 13
Austria, E-mail: www@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx