GENERAL: Rare Books Resource.

From: IN%"joshuac2@xxxxxxx" 23-AUG-1993 13:54:29.08
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list NEW-LIST"
CC:
Subj: NEW: Antiquaria - Rare Book Dealers and Dealings

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 12:34:54 CDT
From: joshuac2@xxxxxxx
Subject: NEW: Antiquaria - Rare Book Dealers and Dealings
Sender: NEW-LIST - New List Announcements <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list NEW-LIST <[email protected]>

antiquaria@xxxxxxx

ANTIQUARIA is a subscription mail list that is expressly for rare
book dealers to exchange information and books amongst each other and
to meet with individuals and institutions looking for specific books.

The list is open to anyone that has e-mail access to the internet.
The nature of this list is somewhat unique in two ways. First its
purpose is to partially fill the gap left by the demise of Bookquest
and second it is an experiment in running a listserv that is not
affiliated with a public institution and is not on the internet. The
first three months of operation will be a period of assessment of
both the concept and the software. The number of subscribers its
rate of growth and the amount of maintenance will be weighed to
determine how much it will cost to keep the list operating. At the
end of this period if it appears that this list will be successfully
an annual subscription fee in the range of a typical magazine will be
asked of the dealers and institutions that are members of the list.

No subscription fee will be asked of the general public. It is my
hope that this dealer/institution sponsored list will provide a forum
that will bring together those that have and those that are looking
for rare and out of print material. I realize that this type of
venture could be considered by some to be treading on internet rules
and by others a welcome service. I have deliberated for sometime
over how to run this list without any public funding and still stay
within the boundaries of internet etiquette. This is the best format
that I have been able to come up with. I hope that this announcement
will be met with good will and constructive suggestions.