ARCHITECTURE: Metro Stations.

From: IN%"gurd@xxxxxxxxxxx" "Dharm Guruswamy" 27-MAR-1994 18:41:05.55
To: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Multiple recipients of list
URBAN-L"
CC:
Subj: Land Use Impact's at Metro Station

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 16:37:29 -0500
From: Dharm Guruswamy <gurd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Land Use Impact's at Metro Station
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list URBAN-L <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: To: [email protected]
Comments: cc: [email protected], transp@xxxxxxx, utsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The following are my notes from the following seminar. Please not they were
taken in real time. The comments [] are my commentary:

"Metropolitan Transportation: Land Use Impact at Metro Stations"

By Alvin McNeil, director facilities planning of the Washington Metropolitan
Transportation Authority

Sponsored by the urban studies and planning program, University of Maryland
at College Park.

Held on Saturday March 25th. from 10-12 at the School of Social Work,
University of Maryland at Baltimore.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=--=-
Our speaker today has 25 years of experience as a urban planner.

He joined Metro in 1989 in his present capacity. He had worked for the
D.C. office of planning for fifteen years before that.

He has lived and worked in the Washington metropolitan area for 25 years.

The area being discussed today is the Washington Metropolitan area: DC,
the suburban areas of the state of Maryland, and the suburban areas of
the commonwealth of Virginia.

A lot has changed in the D.C. area in the past 25 years.

In the future he sees change accelerating.

The economy will be affected more and more by global competition.

CHANGE is a common denominator throughout the world.

If we are to successful in this area we must:
1) Plan and anticipate
2) Have a willingness to invest for the long term
3) Have a willingless to change the way things are done.

Niel Pierce (sp?) believes the Washington area has a bright future, he
shares this view.

Transportation is one of the the MOST important issues for local and
state government if not a preoccupation.

The Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act was signed into law
by then President George Bush in 1990. It was a 6 year $155 billion act.

The Washington area will recieve approximately $1 billion a year over the
next six years from ISTEA.

CAA & ISTEA have had positive side effects:
1) public involvment from beginning
2) funding has to be indentified from the begining

The citizens are guaranteed input in the growth of the transportation system.

A growth in population will be outpaced by dramatic growth in VMT and the
number of registed automobiles.

We will have an increase of 800,000 residents and 1,000,000 jobs from
1985-2010.

In the Washington area we will make a projected 12,000,000 automobile
trips DAILY by the year 2010, which represents a 80% increase from 1985.

Metrorail will not solve all our problems.

The automobile gives us unprecented mobility and we will not give it up.

ACTIONS TO IMPROVE TRANSPORTATION
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1) Transportation MUST be a transportation priority.
2) Jurisdictions must work to together on a intergovernmental framework
which includes the federal government. Examples of this type of
organizations include The Washington Council of Governments, The
Chesapeake Bay Regional Commission, the Washington Beltway agreements,
The Washington Airports Authority, the Washington Metropolitan
Transportation Authority, and the Washington Matropolitan Area
Transportation Commisssion.

As Jefferson wanted, our system of government is designed to inhibit the
agglomeration of power.

He advocates a Regional Transportation Authority. I would require
elected officials to give up a measure of their power.

This authority could be financed by a regional sales tax.

It would work on some of our most pressing needs:
1) Outer Beltway
2) Metrorail Extensions beyond the planned 103 mile system
3) Rebuilding of the Wilson bridge
4) Regionwide Computerized Traffic Monitoring

We need to reasses our plans for growth. Suburbs will continue to have
large scale developments. Look at the development around the Metro
stations.

Showed us slides of Silver Spring.

Prime spot for joint development is the bus interface area. However
Montgomery County's adequate public facilities ordinance works against
Metro's plans. The transfer area also handles upwards of 600 buses an
hour during the peak period.

$2 billion is already built or under construction in the vicinity of the
station since its opening (someone inform Dr. Cervero about this, his
article in the latest APA Journal implied otherwise).

The TRANSIT AGE in our urban development produced dense urban cores in
our cities which are still largely servicable by transit.

Metro can encourage the development of high density, transit servicable
suburbs.

Transit improvements do pay off. Economic development does occur.

Metro has the most successful joint development program in the country.
Joint development already underway or planned will bring in over $700
million to Metro over the life of the agreements.

The Western Avenue entrance of the Friendship Heights station a unique
rotunda with four exits ALL of them are currently used.

Arlington County has engaged in excellent "fine grain" planning around
all of its Orange Line Metro stations. On the six Orange Line stations
in the county each has its own character and scale of development.
Originally only three stations were proposed with two entrances each, the
county negotiated six with only one entrance each. Probably the most
fortious move the county has made in its planning.

Ballston has the ONLY Ramada Renaissance in the Washington area. The
station also boasts one of Metro's most successful examples of joint
development.

Metro has the most aggessive joint development program in the country.
He often spends time on the road, explaining to other transit properties
how Metro does it.

There are approximatley 50 future station exits throughout the Metro
system. If you are looking, you can see them. The system was designed
to enable installing these entrances with "pull out" panels. If you know
what your looking for, you can recognize them.

Residential joint development is very difficult because of the strings
attached to the federal money which built the system. In Virginia, you
cannot build condominiums on leased land. If Metro sells the land for
residential development, it has to repay the federal contribution.

Metro is counting on increased tourism for the area. Which means more
ridership for Metro. Summer ridership increases because of all the tourists.

The economy of the metropolitan area is changing. Growth is outside the
city, and hence thats where most Metro expansion will be..

As mentioned earlier he favors a regionally funded transportation
authority.

Transit properties should be given zoning authority in a one quarter mile
radius around Metro stations.

Want's much more "fine grain" planning research on how to zone and build
around transit stations to maximize transit ridership. Even the
orientation of a building can affect the modal split.

[overall an excellent speech. Didn't get to show all his slides because
of so many questions (I asked my share). I wish we had more good planners
like Mr. McNeill and not so many incompetent urban planners (sorry to
take a hit on my field, but it's true)].

---
Dharm Guruswamy Senior Urban Studies & Planning Major
University of Maryland at College Park - A Flagship Institution
I cant believe its my last semester! | MD Basketball 93-94 is HERE!
Overall Record: 18-11 Conference: 8-9 Next Game: Michigan on 3/25
gurd@xxxxxxxxxxx gurd@xxxxxxxxxxx (301) 314-2501