Resources for Enviro. Design Index

Attention: Architecture Reading Room [Linda Zimmers], PSU.

- - The original note follows - -

From: mserhus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Materials Resource Center)
Subject: Resources for Enviro. Design Index
Date: 23 Apr 1994 00:18:53 GMT

MRC: R.E.D.I. FOR CHANGE

Growing concerns about current building practices, prompted Andy Johnson,
through the Universtiy of Oregon, School of Architecture, Materials
Resource Center (MRC), to initiate a new project this past summer creating
an accessible, up-to-date index on environmentally sound building and
construction products promoting environmentally responsive design and in
doing so creating a much-needed collection of products and literature in
the resource library. The index had it's first official publication
January, 1994.

While similar in scope to other environmentally oriented resource
publications, this index is unique in two ways. First, it is directed at
design methods and building technology intended for use by designers,
builders, students, etc. in the Pacific Northwest, and secondly the
majority of material and resource suppliers indicated are located in
Oregon. The rationale is simple: the continued support of our state economy
and the reduction in transportation energy which is a major part of a
materials embodied energy and life cycle cost. The gathered information has
been compiled into a guide called Resources for Environmental Design Index
or R.E.D.I. Further information pertaining to the R.E.D.I. Guide is
available in the MRC, with samples on hand for a majority of the products
listed.

In conjunction with the R.E.D.I. Guide, a research class is being
offered
for credit to students to generate further exploration of environmental
design issues. This is a class which will help students guide their own
education of environmental practices in the profession of architecture,
becoming knowledgeable of alternative building materials and methods. Each
student will take on a research project which will be the focus for the
entire term. At the completion of the term, projects will be published in
the R.E.D.I. Guide under the individual authorUs name. Details of the
class will be posted outside of the architecture office and at the MRC as
class scheduling begins.

Recognizing our commitment to protect our environment and the integral
part that we as environmental designers have in that process, the positive
change can occur now. As builders of our environment, our part is
ultimately to learn how to build sustainably both for present and future
generations.

The REDI Guide is available at the University of Oregon Bookstore, the
Solar Information Center (503.346.3696), Environmental Building Supplies in
Portland (503.222.3881), Southwest Oregon Chapter of the AIA Environmental
Committee. The cost includes a one year subscription of updates and
additional articles and information. Please direct any questions to Andy
Johnson, Materials Resource Center, 503.346.1470.