Re: Traditional mtls. + computers

Katherine--Yes, yes, yes.

We have been working both individually and in teams. For several years
I have been working with layered Xerox transparencies over watercolors. I also
used Xerox to reduce and copy sketches which could then be reworked with white-
out and recopied as transparencies. It was a very efficient process for
producing a series of related designs. Naturally, this process translates
easily into computer graphics.

Pat Atkinson at University of Missouri, Columbia, had been working on these
techniques, and I picked up the idea from him.

We recently worked on a project that I started with water color and pencil,
a colleague put it into the computer with a 3-D modelling perspective
program, he printed it out on a high resolution color printer--now I am
reworking the prints.

The only hangup right now is that we cannot print on 90 lb or heavier
water color or print paper which limits what we can do with working over the
printed image.

The advantage of the new is speed, efficiency, and power of change. The
advantage of the old is the tactile involvement with the work. Some of
the work in virtual reality may get around that, but right now, for those
of us who think physically, there is not enough feel of the image in electronic
form. There is also the advantage of the interactive nature of media such
as watercolor, but some of the new off-the-shelf fractal graphics programs
seem promising there.

Hope this helps. If you want to know more about what we are doing, let me
know. This is getting a little long so I am going to stop here.

David Sill ---silld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx