Re: Electric Cars--An OWNERS perspective

As one who won a national prize for electric vehicle infrastructure
design concerning the model of Lancaster County, PA, I find these
comments very interesting. However, the dependance on lead-acid car battery
for these vehicles is *current* technology. Fuel cells are in the process
of being developed; and they are non-polluting. As well, the Japanese
have a flywheel technology that seems promising. Howard

>In article <CrH8I5.CsE@xxxxxxxxxx>, Frank Didik <adc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>NO POLLUTION?
>> No, not exactly. Though the electric car itself does not burn fuel,
>>most power plants use fossil fuels to generate electricity, so we must
>>consider the pollution created at the power plant. It is estimated that
>>an electric car, charging from a conventional fossil fueled power plant,
>>produces less then 20% of the pollution created by a standard gasoline
>>powered car.

>This is very misleading. This figure only applies if the "fossil fuel"
>the plant is using is natural gas. Car & Driver frequently revisits
>electric cars and cites the latest studies, all of which show a pollution
>rate of 80% to 120%(!) for electrics depending on the exact type of pollution
>you are comparing, against a baseline 100% for each category with gasoline.
>This comparison was against the national average mix of power generation -
>some combination of natural gas, nuclear, and mostly coal and oil. This
>is a far more realistic comparison, and electrics show no overall advantage.
>Clearly, absent any national commitment to 0-pollution electric generation,
>electrics just aren't going to do this well. Please don't follow this up
>with lectures about controlling fewer emission points - it isn't done, in
>part because the volume of each emission becomes a formidable engineering
>challenge and in part because states lack the will to muzzle electric
>utilities - the whole CARB electric-car initiative grew out of their
>reluctance to restrict industrial emissions of _any_ kind because of the
>potential of job loss - as opposed to losing automotive jobs, which are few
>far between in California.

>It was misrepresented statistics like this that lead NY and Massachusetts
>to pile onto the electric car bandwagon when neither of them have the
>infrastructure to realize those gains, and when both have winters severe
>enough to cut range more than half - far more than is cited in this post.
>I also notice the toxic-waste disposal problem presented by used-up
>batteries - ten to twenty times worse than with gasoline cars - is simply
>not mentioned.

>I like electrics - I might even buy one. But inflated claims of their
>abilities and minimizing their drawbacks will do no one any good in the
>long run. Electrics have a lot of potential, they are worth some
>research and some money to develop. But they should be treated as the
>experimental prototypes that they are, not greeted as the second coming
>of the automobile and hang the costs.

>--
>Larry Smith - My opinions alone. larrys@xxxxxx/thesmiths@xxxxxxxxx
>A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take
>everything you have. -- Barry Goldwater. Liberty is not the freedom to do
>whatever we want, it is the freedom to do whatever we are able. -- Me.

- - The original note follows - -