GENERAL: Dada Poetry Techniques?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 26-JUL-1994
23:50:14.38
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Randomness and Poetics

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 23:22:29 -0400
From: MARKHALL@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Randomness and Poetics
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ray,
Your post about randomness and poetics reminded me of a message that I
posted on my forum at DELPHI recently. Here it is, and I hope it does not
get garbled, though it might help.

I would like to tell you about a couple of splendid little
toys I purchased for myself this weekend. One of them is known
as th "Magnetic Poetry Kit." It is a set of words and word
fragments printed on individual flat magnets, the kind that
are often found on refrigerators. Granted, I was always free
to compose poetry with pre-printed words, such as the kind
that can be cut from a magazine, but the magnets make it
easier and more fun to work with. Here a a few poems that
resulted-

Our goddess whispers
her delicate rain falls through me
though no one sees it.

You felt a void
an enormous thing
as black as the vision
of winter he pictured.
Let his ugly storm
leave the summer behind.

They tell me you can live
like some garden above the sun.
But who will be here next spring?

Always thinking sadly
like a man under a rock
yet men must cry & scream
about some essential need
but why?

Music on her tongue
a diamond in a
sea of milk
chant sing
swim shine
I dream I am
a knife of life
only language
could still her.

Sweet shadow woman
the ache is love
you stare as if
you want to say
ask not for lust
to run and play
watch my urges
go away.

And just to show you that the mundane and the slightly
humorous are also possible-

Cook an
egg over easy
& sausage to go
for my love.

Yes, the word "sausage" was included in the kit!

The other toy is pretty much the same idea, only the words
appear on the sides of eight wooden cubes.

The best phrase I got from that is this- "Everything you trust
and love is of art."

Both toys allow the possibility of sexual overtones. :-) :-)

Mark Hall