Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

>Another problem which I'm sure all of you educators are well aware of
>is the numbers game. Even with the low graduation of architects, the
>number of graduating students far outstrips the economic demand for
>architects. Indeed, if all the students would practice, they would
>replace the current architects every five years. Of course, this won't
>happen. Instead graduates of architecture usually will do anything
>but practice architecture.
>
>The architectural education is a wonderful education, and I for one
>advise everyone to study architecture. But, that doesn't mean that
>they should necessarily expect to find a carreer as an architect. The education
>will serve them well whatever they pursue.

I'm really bothered by this attitude. It's the way architectural schools
justify perpetuating an unsustainable system that primarily benefits the
schools and their faculty. I've never been able to understand why so many
students are attracted to a career in architecture. They are obviously not
getting the message. It's really depressing to see so many talented people
defeated and humiliated in this profession.

20 year olds simply do not listen to talk about how they all won't become
architects. If they are seduced by their <wonderful> architectural
education into a field that our society clearly doesn't value very highly,
then they havn't benefited. We're just getting them hooked and then
abandoning them to the cruelties of the marketplace.

Jonathan Cohen, AIA
246 First St., Suite 203
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
email: kvetcher@xxxxxxxx