Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

Well, jonathan, I must reply ----

Jonothan Cohen says -

20 year olds simply do not listen to talk about how they all won't become
architects. If they are seduced by their <wonderful> architectural
education into a field that our society clearly doesn't value very highly,
then they havn't benefited. We're just getting them hooked and then
abandoning them to the cruelties of the marketplace.

Well, what do you suggest. Decrease the enrollemnts? Make the entrance
requirements higher? That's pretty anti-american if you ask me. We should
give them the opportunity to succeed. We should also warn them that the
odds are against them. and that very few of them will actually practice
architetcure. The other thing that we can do is lobby for increased demand
for architects. If architects approval was required for domestic/commercial
small construction and renovation, the demand for architetcs would more
than double.

But, neither of these aalternatives are something that can take place
immediately
in the classroom. The only REAL THING to do is TELL THE TRUTH. Show
how there are many different careers that architetcural graduates can
pursue from construction low/law to computer science, and that what they
have learned "laterl thinking", "historical understanding", "the design
process", etc., etc., will serve them well is these pursuits.

- Ray Lauzzana