Re: Architectural Stone Museum in NYC

Responding to msg by rmadill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Madill) on

>I would appreciate having the mailing address for the
>organization running this project, the name of a
>contact person if possible. Additionally, would
>anyone have run across any 'write-up' concerning the
>above in any journal, etc.?

Cathedral Stoneworks
1047 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027
(212) 864-0191

This enterprise has been extensively covered, ad nauseum, at
least in the local media. Call for abundant PR material. It
is associated
with one of the "beloved" NYC landmarks, the Cathedral of St
John the Divine,
a prime tourist attraction and place of controversial and
banal
cultural events.

The cathedral complex is also a peculiar exhibit of
architectural
styles showing a century of various publicity and fund-raising
ventures connected to art and architectural visions:
neo-Romanesque, neo-Gothic, historic presevation, high-tech,
sculpture, performing arts, anything that works.

The Stoneworks device of training youngsters to "finish" the
building's towers by a huckster's mix of medieval and modern
techniques is part of the Cathedral's (and other holy
institutions like Columbia U)
long tradition to use architecture for pubilicity while
ignoring safety,
health and humane deficiencies caused by their projects in the
neighborhood.

Stoneworks also takes on commercial projects, such as stonework

for the new Jewish Museum addition of fake historicism designed

by the famous modernist Kevin Roche.

The Stoneworks operation, Columbia University and the Jewish
Museum
addition are some of my favorite stops on a tour of truly weird
architecture in
NYC, a perfect advertising counterpoint for the decrepitude in
adjoining Harlem
(itself a "beloved" tourist slum). Together they make offer a
sacred and profane
architectural apotheosis.

John