Re: O.M. Ungers and the German Ambassador's Residence

Cheryl,

OM Ungers is a very well-known contemporary architect practicing in
Germany. As you note, his work is somewhat obsessed by geometry. It is not
unusual for an architect to design the furniture, lighting etc--Frank Lloyd
Wright always insisted on total control.

I suggest that you get your University Library to help you get access to
Columbia University's Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals (available
on-line for subscribers). You'll find all you want to know about Ungers in
there.

Good Luck.

>I'm working on a paper about the newly built residence for the
>German Ambassador to the United States in Washington, D.C.
>It has been difficult getting information about the architect,
>O.M. Ungers, although I have found some. He is very dedicated
>to the use of the square in his design. The main floor is
>quite beautiful but is the austere family residence upstairs a
>home? Is it right for an architect to design furniture, lighting,
>etc., and make strict rules about placement? (I realize that
>this is nothing new.) Does anyone have info on the architect,
>the building, or comments?
>
>Cheryl Owens
>George Mason University

Robert M. McAnulty and/or Donna V. Robertson
Robertson + McAnulty Architects
735 Esplanade Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70116
504.948.7508 T