Re: Seaside stuff

On Thu, 10 Nov 1994, Wayde Justin Tardif wrote:

> perhaps cannot, allow for a differing of opinion. Did you actually read my
> post, or are you replying in a knee-jerk reaction because it (my
> statements), opose your own?

Your position does not necessarily oppose my own. I was responding to your
statement that they hadn't provided enough parking. I might agree with you
that more parking should have been provided. As we all know, the real
limit to any growth is parking.

And Wayne, if you'd read MY babble, you'd see I'm not a big DP-Z pusher at
all, for god's sake. There were some remarks earlier---in relation to
Charles Windsor etc.---which seemed to make all those new urbanist types
into ogres and fascist admirers and I'm simply trying to get some facts on
the table to understand why people seems so upset. Your objection to them
seems to be that they didn't provide enough parking. That's a good
criticism, if it's true. That doesn't make them fascists, just no
architect a developers would want to hire if they can't even get the
parking right. But we know all those decisions are NOT made by the
architect so how can you be sure it's all their fault.

The only criticism I've heard so far about seaside is
1. too many cars
2. not enough parking
3. not really successful as a small village.

Valid points perhaps. Don't know. Haven't been there. But architects
are too hard on each other. D-PZ and the developer made an attempt to
create a place not over-run by automobiles that could provide a walking
environment, etc. etc. It didn't work, you say. (except for all the
paying customers but we'll ignore them as they are not architects,
probably boobs who want to shine in the reflected glory from TIME, etc).

But why so harsh on them? I see this in architects all the time. Rather
than saying to each other, 'nice try' and ' perhaps if you nudge this line
over here and ...' but what I hear (over-hear) is this rabid tempest in a
teapot. Someone can attempt to make the world better and they get carping
and sniping from their fellow architects. I wish you folks would be a
little less competitive as a professional group.