Re: Critique

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, John Heintz wrote:
> hey spn,
> why is your work so sacred? sorry if you thought my shot cheap -- things
> seemed pretty rough and tumble here. Besides, people talk do seem about
> otherpeople's work here, Hadid's for example. Sometimes with respect,
> sometimes with less. And she isn't her to correct our imporverished
> understandings. With respect to your work, despite the fact that it is
> beautiful and fasctinating, I'm not sure how or if it constitutes a
> significant critique of society. It's alright -- I won't raise the subject
> (of work) again.

John, ok, it sounded a bit like you were confronting me with my work and
here it is not just rough and tumble, i think we work hard to not let
this get out of hand. This forum is not the place for my work, not
becuase i am harboring it, more because i don't want to alter my reading
of this forum as a place to hear about what others in and interested in
architecture and design have to say. ok, so i am an aggressive listener,
(and not merely lurking) but i value this list because as an editor of an
architectural zIne, i can finally hear about what others in my profession
think. That is why i am so adament about getting them to talk. The work
of studio AEM is very much involved with info-tech but as i said, here i
have another agenda, that i hope interest others.

Thanks for respecting that. There are other lists, (film-theory) for
instance or maybe a list I am going to start that will generate more
specific discussion (this stuff is a lot of work). But to indulge you
quickly for being repectful i will answer your question in a personal
e-message.

best, and glad to hear from the Netherlands, write often.

spn