Mary Jane Colter

I was just wondering if anyone on the list is familiar with the work of Mary
Jane Colter, the woman architect who worked for Fred Harvey and designed
several of the great buildings at the Grand Canyon - Hermit's Rest, Bright
Angel Lodge, the Watchtower (wow! this is an amazing structure) and other
beautiful buildings such as her favorite - the La Posada - the Santa Fe
Railroad/Fred Harvey train station and hotel in Winslow, Arizona?

I was just up there a few days ago and got a great tour of the La Posada, as
well as spending the day at the Grand Canyon looking at and photographing her
buildings there. I'm impressed with her work and especially given the time
she did these buildings - 1920's and 30's mostly. Her use of materials,
integration of Native American design, colors, design sense, whimsy, and the
sense of place her buildings have are all special. I just wondered if she is
well known outside of the Southwest?

I watched a mother and her adolescent daughter descending one of the spiral
stairs at the Watchtower. The very pretty young girl was absolutely
transfixed with the building and the ornament - Hopi paintings on the walls
and ceilings. I thought about how intensely this young girl was studying the
walls and the building and only later did I think I should have told her the
building was designed by a woman architect. I hope her mother told her.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others know of her work.
David Eisenberg