Re: Mary Jane Colter

>I watched a mother and her adolescent daughter descending one of the spiral
>stairs at the Watchtower. The very pretty young girl was absolutely
>transfixed with the building and the ornament - Hopi paintings on the walls
>and ceilings. I thought about how intensely this young girl was studying the
>walls and the building and only later did I think I should have told her the
>building was designed by a woman architect. I hope her mother told her.

Yes! I've seen & admired many of her designs. She is not well known
outside of the Southwest, which is a pity as well as a historical
omission--she is probably the single person most responsible for the
southwestern style. There's a book on her: _Mary Jane Coulter: Builder on
the Red Earth_. I couldn't find my copy when I scanned for it, so I can't
give title & author.

R.