Re: CADD

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, r+ma wrote:

> > I'm a Drafting student at California University of PA and I'm seeking
> >the opinions of professional designers and students in this field. I'm in
> >search of the most preferred computer among designers of all kinds. I would
> >like to know what to look for when buying the type of computer that will be
> >used to perform graphical designing. I would truly appreciate your
>
> In order of preference:
> 1) MAC
> 2) MAC
> 3) MAC

I agree with Robert on the above but he may be surprized by my modified
version of his prefs:

for desgin oriented students:
form-Z on the power mac
and or
softimage on the sgi
but autocadd and 3d studio
support that. The latest versions
of softimage surpass the necessity of form-z
but this doesn't dismiss the necessity of learning a cadd
program. You never know when you will need to draft up the
construction docs.

for "professionally" oriented students:
certainly autocadd 12 on a pentium pc
The autocadd folks have given up on the mac platform.
3d studio gets better and better. The Mac power pc
(the only machine you want to work on with 3d rendering involved in the
mac platform) will not support autocadd or 3dstudio.

However Intergraphs MICROstation that is more sophisticated than autocadd
is becoming available for the mac powerpc this month. It smokes autocadd.

overall the profession favors the pc platform and autocadd. A sad,
perhaps temporary reality.

the top rendering machine by far: Silicon Graphics. can't touch that!

this is what i know.

spn