Re: The bridge as an Archetype?

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Pierre.Beaudoin wrote:

> I'm working on a research project based on the study of bridges and i'm
> also finishing work on a mediatic architecture event that you will hear
> about soon (hipe).
> Being a architect and engineer, My analytic work process is based on
> dualities.... 1 + 1 ( to things with architecture/event between them).
> Bridging fascinates me at all scales, urban,architectural, details...
> They are triple treshholds
> On both axis in plan and also in section
> Here are a few bridge projects:
> - Kunstal, OMA
> - Between facades in the Fondation Cartier project, Johnny News.
> - Le Corbusier , Cambridge University pavillion.
> - Steel Cloud, Asymptote.
> Comments? Critics? Addition to list? More to come...
> Jean Beaudoin

While having worked on a seminar paper about architectural
metaphors in language some time ago, I studied the possible implications
of the bridge as an Archetype. I found some relevant ideas in an
essay of Georg Simmel "Bridge and Door". I don't have any idea if the essay
is translated into English or not but there must be a compilation of
Simmels essays in German - Das Individuum und die Freiheit.Essais
(Frankfurt am Main. Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag, 1993) where it is availible.

Ene Priimets
ene@xxxxxx