Art and Science and Technology

I am in total agreement with the following quote:

"Art might very well assess research according to criteria quite
divergent from those of the marketable and measurable worlds. The roles of
artists could consolidate other roles such as researcher, designer, hacker,
and producer. Even within research labs, artist's apportionment within
investigation squads could annex a standpoint that could foster the
research operation - but artists must again broaden their definitions of
art materials and contexts.

They must become curious about scientific and technological research and
acquire the skills and knowledge that will allow them to significantly
participate in these worlds. They must expand conventional notions of what
constitutes an artistic education. At the same time they must keep alive
artistic traditions of iconoclasm, critical perspectives, amusement, and
sensual communications. We must be willing to undertake art explorations
that do not neatly fit in historically validated media."

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X
Joseph Nechvatal, Paris, France, Europa
http://www.cybertheque.fr/galerie/jnech
X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X

Until this institution (and others of its kind) move(s) into a position of
allowing architecture students and faculty to make significant, if any,
connections to research laboratories and technical workshops throughout this
campus, we are never to know or to master the art of technology, A R C H I
T E C T U R E ! This position has been clearly stated in my paper, "Abandon
The Studio." [It does not *really* mean to abandon the studio.] Such an
effort, if it ever occurs, must be sustained rather than for just the
public relations moment or the gain of "brownie points" toward tenure and
promotion. [We have had those efforts before in our college.]

Do you think it will ever happen?

Howard Ray Lawrence
Telephones: Voice: 814 865 9535
College of Arts and ARCHITECTURE
FAX: 814 865 3289
The Pennsylvania State University
E-Mail: hrl@xxxxxxx
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802 url:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/hrl/
United States of North America