Send McDonald's their packaging (fwd)

Subject: Send McDonald's their packaging
Date: Feb 25, 1997
From: foescotland@xxxxxxxxxx (Friends of the Earth Scotland)

McDonald's is a major sponsor of the Tidy Britain Group, which is currently
promoting a National Spring Clean 18-27 April. McDonald's has sponsored the
leaflet. The Tidy Britain Group is a supporter of the Going For Green
Initiative.

And as we all know, McDonald's is a major contributor to the litter
problem. In their leaflet they give us some 'great ideas', one of which is
to hold a competition to collect the most litter: we 'will be surprised at
what we find'. One idea they do not give us is to collect McWaste (on a
street corner near you) and send it the McPartiallyFunded FREEPOST address
below.

NATIONAL SPRING CLEAN
FREEPOST
MANCHESTER M1 9AZ

Collect everything you see around and send it off in parcels and envelopes
as large or as small as you need (the more numbers of parcels the better)
together with a small note saying exactly where you found it. Don't cheat
by emptying waste bins.

Print out this address on envelope address labels, give them out to as many
people as possible and get the Tidy Britain Group to do something practical
about the litter of one of their major sponsors. (Incidentally, notice this
organisation used to be called the Keep Britain Tidy Group, until it dawned
on them that because of people like McDonald's Britain was not in a tidy
state in which to be kept).

Even one cup, straw, polystyrene tray or paper bag in an envelope will
help. If you can get an idea of how many you send, or know of that are
sent, post the score on the GSN, we can press release it or something.
Enter all the competitions on the packaging you find: 'no purchase
required'.

By the way, Dave Morris (one of the McLibel Two) was in Edinburgh last week
and so on Saturday 22nd Feb there was a major demo ouside the main
McDonald's on Princes Street invlving around 90 people, about 30 of which
went and eat healthy food in the otherwise deserted store. They didn't give
us too much hassle until our Ronald McDonald clown clone arrived with his
organic flapjacks. The manager took particular exception to this and so we
were asked to leave one by one. When the police asked whether we had bought
our apples, oranges, humus sandwiches etc.. from McD's we had to say that
clearly not because obviously something as healthy and wholseome as what we
were eating would not usually be found within a ten metre radious of a
McDonald's.

The thrust of the demo was Dave Morris reading out his 'libelous'
statements in full view of the public!

When replying, please put "To Marko" in subject

Mark Sydenham Fax: (44)+131-554-8656

Friends of the Earth Scotland Tel: (44)+131-554-9977
72 Newhaven Rd, E-mail: foescotland@xxxxxxxxxx
GB-Edinburgh, EH6 5QG Web: http://www.foe-scotland.org.uk/