EIFS, stucco, tech quest

A cousin recently pruchased a home, and I'm told that the basement (block
walls) has been 'stuccoed' on the interior. (Haven't seen it firsthand and
my source -mom- doesn't know enoungh about building materials to say for
certain).

Is anyone familiar with this as a interior finsh? The house is approx 30
years old. I have several concerns:

1. The finish is recent and it is some type of EIFS mud or equivalent
(StoCoat, something like that), which most definitely shouldn't be used for
interior applications (or so the Sto rep told me once).

2. The finish is quite old, and is a sythetic stucco material that might
have asbestos- this is pure speculation, for I know nothing about this, but
I can't think of a system for appling directly to CMU that isn't lathe,
which may be present.

Can anyone think of other possible materials, and/or think of a net
resource to research this? My cousin is pregnant, so I am concerned, given
that even EIFS leeches some chemicals, say nothing of asbestos. I suggested
cutting a small peice to try and better determine the mateiral and
attachment and testing it if it looks suspicious, but I won't be there for
months, and don't really trust their follow through.

thanks
nic