Apple Design Project '97

Hi there,
I am asking for help once again. Hey if it works why not keep on?
What's up:
This quarter in studio we are participating in the Apple Design Project '97.
What is that:
it is interdisciplinary teams that work together, hopefully, to develop a
prototype that resolves a problem particular to a specific group of users. The
teams get to select the user groups, however, there are specifics such as the
topic - Libraries of the Future, Technology and Design.
The U of Minnesota was one of seven schools invited to participate, Apple
limits participation by each school to two years, this is our second. Other
participating schools are:
California Inst of the Arts
Domus Academy (Italy)
Keene State College
Rhode Island School of Design
U of MN
U of Siena (Italy)
U of Westminster (U Kingdom)
Utrecht School of the Arts (Holland)
Design brief:
Using Info avail in the year 2000, design a solution to a real problem faced by
users of libraries - a solution that increases the knowledge, productivity, and
pleasure of library users and workers, without diminishing the known benefits
of libraries as they have evolved over the last century.
So I donn't take up any more time than necessary more info can be found on the
web: <http://www - dmc.tc.umn.edu/cafe/appledesign97.html>
or <http://design.research.apple.com/design97/>

My studio mates range in fields from technical communication, rhetoric,
computer science and architecture. We are all excited about this competition!
Where I would like help is with gathering information from as diverse a group
as I could find - a list serve perchance. My particular group has chosen three
user groups - librarians, distance learners, and school-age children.
The one we are struggleing with is the needs of the children. I know everyone
is pressed for time but if anyone has children and would be willing to ask them
these question I would be so greatful. My thanks in advance and I would be
happy to keep any of you who are interested informed of our progress.
Teresa
Survey for School-Age Children:
1: What do you like about libraries?
2: Which library do you like best, the one at school or in your neighborhood?
3: Do you know why?
4: What do you do in the library?
read books, play w/ toys, listen to someone read stories, read stories to
others, listen to stories on the computer, look up information, listen to music
or watch movies, or something else
5: Do you go to the library with your parents?
6: Do your parents stay with you when you go, or do they look at other things?
7: Do your parents read to you at home? or at the library?
8: What would you like to do or have at the library?
9: What don't you like about the library?
10: How do you find what you want at the library?
11: Do you need help to find what you want?
12: Do you do your homework at the library?
13: Anything else you can think of that is important to you?

Thank you again. If anyone is interested in giving me any feed back about this
though you are not a school-age child please feel free to do so. The more
information we have the better our design results.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * *
* Teresa Hueg
* 1035 Van Slyke Ave
* St. Paul, MN 55103-1039
* (612)487-1609
* (hueg0001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
* University of MN - College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
* 89 Church St., S.E.
* Minneapolis, MN 55455