outstanding women

>The future of design and architecture and landscape and the environment
resides in wily women who are taking key spots around the globe, take note
gents. Watch the design leadership fill with outstanding women

/Au contraire:

watch the design leadership fill with un-outstanding women, just as it has
been occupied for decades with un-outstanding men.

While I'm all for correcting underrepresentation in this male-dominated
field (where are you, Mark Darrall?) I'd like to see some *outstanding*
people (of any gender, race, sexual orientation etc.) fill what seems to
be a stunning leadership void. I'll nominate John Young for the Deanship
at Columbia (where are you, Stephen Perella?)

Michael Kaplan
Professor of Architecture
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
mkaplan@xxxxxxx