STUDIO Teaching.

LEARNING by means of design process and visual communication problems
occurs in a studio setting more than TEACHING.

First, I am not in favor of the studio in its present state.

It is noisy, poorly lighted, poorly ventilated, without excellent
communication systems, poorly maintained, without sufficient supplies of
quality food and drink, without adequate rest and recreation facilities;
and it is just not a home away from home for students.

I believe that it is more of a social and cult-building environment.
It conditions students to believe that they will eventually have to go to
an office, and work with an authority, than to do it on their own terms and
in their own place.

The student's "home" would be much more accomodating to this kind of
learning; and it necessarily would have to be reinforced by scheduled
reviews of the student's work by the faculty/others related to solving a
specific problem. In the home, all of the things absent from the studio
would be present---except an expectation by the student that an authority
would answer questions.

I believe that an architect is a potential architect even before entering a
school of architecture. The architect brings the talent with the person.
I would much rather see architecture as an apprenticeship than in a school
setting. Do the thing you want to do. Do not just pretend to do it! Seek
out and respect the master architect as a guide. Do not go to a school,
and study with anyone you do not respect, just to get grades, a diploma,
then a license to practice architecture. You either are one from the
start, or you are not one.

I guess this might cause some discussion? ;-)

.H.

H o w a r d R a y L a w r e n c e

College of Arts and ARCHITECTURE
The Pennsylvania State Univeristy